[Elecraft] eham site down?
Alexandra Carter
2006-05-25 05:06:27 UTC
I think the web site eham.net is down, as in permenantly. This is a
loss because it's a useful source of reviews on all kinds of
equipment, not only Elecraft but other makers too. As well as
articles, discussions, "elmers" Q&A, and a bunch of other great
resources.

However, they've been down for a few days now, with not even a
"placeholder" message telling when they'll be back up. Disappearances
like this are seen in cases like: Hurricane Katrina (when the servers
are at least 10ft below the water line), direct missile strikes, or
sudden and severe cases of bankruptcy where the site owner,
webmaster, etc. dont' have time to leave any info because they have
to catch that redeye flight out of country.

However Eham has come to its demise, it will be missed. It was a
really good site. RIP.

73 de Alex NS6Y.
wayne burdick
2006-05-25 06:45:36 UTC
Post by Alexandra Carter
I think the web site eham.net is down, as in permenantly. This is a
loss because it's a useful source of reviews on all kinds of
equipment, not only Elecraft but other makers too. As well as
articles, discussions, "elmers" Q&A, and a bunch of other great
resources.
They may have shut down because of a denial-of-service attack. This has
happened several times. On one occasion they were down for over four
days rebuilding and/or moving to a different server.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com
Alexandra Carter
2006-05-25 08:06:58 UTC
I've dug around and they're worried about it too on QRZ, the word is
they're doing some rebuilding. Sheesh DOS attacks, won't some ppl
grow up? 73 de Alex NS6Y.

PS just built the little ciggy-pack ATU and checked for basic
heartbeat, it's aliiiiiive! I have to do more testing now, you see
the only time I get for hamming is after midnight and I have to pay
for it with decreased sleep.
N6KR
Bob Nielsen

Simon Brown (HB9DRV)
2006-05-25 09:27:59 UTC
FWIW it's 100% OK here, I've not noticed any down time at all.

Simon Brown
---
http://blog.hb9drv.ch/

"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
don't believe this to be a coincidence."
- Jeremy S. Anderson

dr7zyq
2006-05-25 09:56:55 UTC
I haven't had any trouble bringing it up and just did. It has not been down
for a few days either, so there must be a different problem interfering with
your connecting.

David, WA7ZYQ

Mike Scott
2006-05-25 14:19:19 UTC
eHam is still down and has been down for days for me.

Mike Scott
AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (near LA)
Elecraft KX1 4-Watts

Bob Nielsen
2006-05-25 16:58:29 UTC
Although I was able to access the site earlier, just now I got the
response:

eHam.net

We are experiencing some technical difficulties.
We are working on them and the site will be back as soon as our
maintenance is completed.
We apologize for the downtime.

73 and Thanks
The eHam Team.