[Elecraft] Some KPA100 ?s...
John Clifford
2002-05-12 07:04:01 UTC
Greetings fellow Elecrafters,

The blurb on the Elecraft website sez that the K2/KPA100 is limited to 10w
between 25 MHz and 29 MHz... will us licensed amateurs be able to modify our
KPA100s so this is not a limitation?

Another question... say one has the KPA100 built in an EC2. There are two
RS-232 interfaces... can these be hooked up to two separate computers and
can commands be sent by either computer with output strings being sent on
both interfaces? Hmmm... I can see a remote LCD display being built....

Also... saw the question about max power during high-duty cycle modes (RTTY)
being 40w. What is the max transmit time at this power on such modes if the
fan is running? What is the max transmit time @ 100w?

Suggestion for Elecraft... why not come up/out with a connector kit that
would replace one of the side panels, would have sockets for every connector
that goes to a top-mounted option (speaker, KAT2, KPA2, KIO2, KBT2, etc.)...
AND add male connectors for the appropriate options that could be bolted
onto the top covers of the regular K2 or KPA100? (Similar to the way that
the various PC boards plug in together.) Also, replace all of the blocks
for the top screws with a 90 degree bayonet type fastener that won't
wear/strip if repeatedly removed/reinstalled. That way, instead of having
to remove/replace screws, plug/unplug wires, etc., one could merely rotate
half a dozen fasteners, pop up/off one cover, and then pop down the other
cover. One of the problems that people have run into is inadvertant
connecting of the battery plug into the RF connector... this scheme would
prevent that AND make swapping top covers much more hassle free.

The major reason I plan to build my KPA100 in a separate EC2 enclosure is
because I don't want to have to be disassembling the K2 enclosure every time
I take my K2 out to play. I'm worried about wear and tear (and
dropping/losing screws, etc.) on the current screw/block fastener system. A
system as described above (particularly the fasteners) would greatly reduce
the hassle factor. A big secondary reason is because I will eventually
build either the K2 high power antenna tuner or an LDG kit inside the EC2.

TIA,

- jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2
...waiting _eagerly_ for KPA100!
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: ***@arrl.net
Wayne Burdick
2002-05-12 07:28:00 UTC
Hi John,
Post by John Clifford
The blurb on the Elecraft website sez that the K2/KPA100 is limited to 10w
between 25 MHz and 29 MHz... will us licensed amateurs be able to modify our
KPA100s so this is not a limitation?
The limitation is between 25.000 and 27.999 MHz (outside any ham band),
not 25-29 MHz. The web site may be in error. We'll take care of this ASAP.

I'll address your other questions tomorrow.

Wayne
Lyle Johnson
2002-05-12 07:31:00 UTC
Hello John!
Post by John Clifford
The blurb on the Elecraft website sez that the K2/KPA100 is limited to 10w
between 25 MHz and 29 MHz... will us licensed amateurs be able to
modify our KPA100s so this is not a limitation?
I think it is 28 MHz,not 29 MHz, so you get all of 10 meters, but nothing
between 12 meters and 10 meters.
Post by John Clifford
Another question... say one has the KPA100 built in an EC2. There are two
RS-232 interfaces... can these be hooked up to two separate computers and
can commands be sent by either computer with output strings being sent on
both interfaces?
No, there is one serial port on the K2 Controller Board CPU, and it is
buffered by EITHER the KIO2 or the KPA100, but not both. If the units are
separated, it is the KIO2 that provides the serial port.

73,

Lyle, KK7P
John Grebenkemper, KI6WX
2002-05-12 07:42:00 UTC
John;
The K2/100 works at full power (about 110 watts) at 24.9 MHz and 28.0 MHz
(I've run mine at both of these frequencies at full power into a dummy
load).

When the KPA100 is built in the EC2 enclosure, you have to use the KIO2 to
send data to the KPA100 to control it. This means that you need a KIO2
option in your K2 to communicate with the KIO2 that is contained in the
KPA100. There is already one discussion of how to do this at
http://www.fidalgo.net/~wa7gxd/k2kpa100.html

The transmit time at 40 watts for running a digital mode should be longer
than you are likely to want to keep typing; I will try to run some
experiments tomorrow in PSK31. At 100 watts, the heat sink stays relatively
cool in CW or SSB. I ran some tests at 100 watts output for several minutes
and this increased the temperature of the heat sink up to 45C, but it could
get considerably warmer without any problems. The fan does not cool the
heat sink; the fan primarily serves to cool the interior of the K2 so it
doesn't get too hot.

-John
KI6WX
John Clifford KD7KGX
k8cv" (k8cv)
2002-05-12 13:24:00 UTC
Ah, Duh, John Dude, why not just buy a second K-2 for QRP and be done with
all this hassle, you are thrashing around like an octopus with wires
sticking out of all end of your K-2 !

That's what I plan to do. Total cost $813 since you already have the KATU
( 20 W ). Now you don't have to worry if YODA is looking at the BACK of your
K-2/100 watt honey with her UGLY fan showing and the dastardly Anderson
PowerPoint connector :-)

Don't you think Elecraft has plans for that enclosure? Surely a power
supply, speaker, atu, phone patch, lcd oscilloscope, gps, and even a spoke
straitener for you bicycle :-)

Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.

Vic Rosenthal
2002-05-12 16:01:00 UTC
Post by k8cv" (k8cv)
why not just buy a second K-2 for QRP and be done with
all this hassle, you are thrashing around like an octopus with wires
sticking out of all end of your K-2 !
I'm actually thinking about a K1 for my camping trips. It's smaller and lighter
and uses less battery power. And while the K2's receiver performance is better,
it's overkill for the kind of casual operating I do in the field.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA