[Elecraft] K2 As Only Rig in Shack
Wayne Reed
2005-05-20 13:18:27 UTC
Gang,
My basic K2 [5 watt version] is my station rig. I have a NC-20 in white metal for field use. That will be supplemented by a K1 as soon as the budget will stand it and SHMBO [lets not start that again] approves.
As for general coverage, I have a Hallicrafters S-38 [circa 1946] that provides all the band coverage one could want at least on HF.

Wayne, K9NE
Jim Sheldon
2005-05-20 13:53:31 UTC
I too, have the K2 as my only rig in the home shack and I plan to keep it
that way. Antenna system at home consists of a B & W BWD-90 broadband folded
dipole for 80-40-30 and the rest of the WARC bands. 20-15-10 is a Cushcraft
A3S on a 10' tripod mounted on the roof of my garage which puts it about 25
feet high. The 160 meter antenna is one of those accidents that worked. An
inverted U. Goes up 25 feet, out 60 feet to a big pine tree in the front
yard and back down 25 feet and the only counterpoise/ground in the system is
an 8' ground rod right at the feedpoint. The KAT2 tuner matches it to 1.1:1
on all bands 160-10 with the exception of 17 meters. There is a bad length,
either in the wire or coax that throws the impedance out of the KAT2's
range. No biggie, the BWD-90 takes care of 17 anyway.

Now before the nay-sayers out there say that BWD-90 is a "folded dummy load"
due to the resistor located in it's configuration, I have 143 countries
worked, 63 confirmed running only QRP with the K2. Many of these are on 80,
40 and 30 using the BWD-90. I have at least 50 Japanese stations worked on
40 with 5 watts and this antenna. Kinda funny for an antenna a lot of
people say can't work.

I have a nice padded aluminum case set up so that I can grab the K2, stuff
it in there and head out for anywhere. In the case is a complete 80-10
meter PAC-12 antenna, 80' of RG-174 feedline, reeled up radials for the
PAC-12, a set of key paddles and a hand key on the same base. This gives me
a pretty much "grab and go" system for emergency or just plain fun portable
operations. The case cost me 20 bucks from Harbor Freight when they had it
on sale. Everything fits nicely with a little room left over for power
cords, microphone, and extra coax adapters to match whatever antennas might
be available at the portable site. I have a small drink cooler set up
containing a 12 amp hour 12 volt gel cell that I can take along for extended
operations, and a 30 watt BP-Solar SX-30 solar panel for charging if AC
power isn't available. I keep a 6 amp power supply in the car at all times,
and of course, cables to clip onto the car battery if necessary. Lots of
fun available.

Now all I gotta do is convince wife that I need a KX1 as well. Don't need
it, just want one.

Jim - W0EB
Wichita, KS
K2#4338

The
Mike Markowski
2005-05-23 15:33:12 UTC
Post by Jim Sheldon
I too, have the K2 as my only rig in the home shack and I plan to keep it
that way. [...]
Has anyone reduced his rig collection to just a K2/100 and regretted it?
If so, would you mind sharing your reasons why? I'm considering doing
just that - the reducing, not the regretting. :-) A lot of very
personality dependent variables in the decision, but I'm curious
nevertheless.

Thanks & 73!
Mike AB3AP
Avondale, PA
Dan Barker
2005-05-23 16:04:37 UTC
I did, and I don't regret it much. It is sometimes valuable to have another
rig, for monitoring, getting that "rare one" when the K2 is on it's back for
the latest and greatest mod, verifying zero-beat procedures, etc.

So much so, that I bought a "second" rig. I got a Tec-Tec Delta 580 for a
station monitor. It works, but is pretty boring. So, it's on eBay. I found a
cherry HW-101 (Firebottle rig) with power supply on eBay for $160, so now I
have a station monitor!

It's also fun, but very tiring to use. Tuning, straight key, no selectivity
to speak of, blah, blah, blah, but my first rig was an HW-101 and it feels
"right". Warms up the shack nicely (more useful in other seasons).

I'd suggest keeping the rig if it's only going to pull a few hundred bucks
on eBay, and dumping it, and getting something fun if it's a nicer (to
people who have not yet been exposed to the K2) radio.

ymmv

Dan / WG4S / K2 #2456

<snip>
Has anyone reduced his rig collection to just a K2/100 and regretted it?
</snip>

ps: I let the transmatch and discrete keyer go too. THOSE, I regret. I had
to pay $30 for a Dentron 300W tuner to run the HW, and am just polishing off
my straight key skills instead of looking for another keyer. My apologies to
the ECN!
EricJ
2005-05-23 19:48:14 UTC
I reduced mine to a K1 and K2, and have no regrets at all. I operate 90+% CW
and the other 10% or so between SSB and PSK31 (with a PSK20). I still have
my TS-950 but it has not been turned on since January when I got the K1, and
is currently in its original shipping box awaiting my ability to overcome
inertia and stick it on ebay.

Currently, I have no interest in the K2/100 option as 5 watts has been doing
everything I want to do, but my interests in this hobby have changed before
and doubtless they will change again. I'd agree with the other poster
(forgot who) who advised keeping a rig for a "station monitor". I
particularly agree with his idea to have one that is just plain fun--like
his choice of a HW-101--something you always wanted to have, but wouldn't
choose for your only rig. A quality boat anchor would satisfy that.

Eric
KE6US

Fred Jensen
2005-05-23 21:12:33 UTC
... A quality boat anchor would satisfy that.
Eric
KE6US
In some circles, the term "quality boat anchor" would be seen as
oxymoronic. On the other hand, I'd sure like my S-line back :-)

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw
Mark Menkhus
2005-05-24 01:36:04 UTC
Hi,

My K2 is my only HF XCVR. I sold my 706MK2 last year to pay for some
school books. I am in my 40's and have headed back to college to
complete my degree. I mostly listen, and occasionaly have a QSO. I
also use my Satellit 800 as a desk radio. I would part with my
Grundig, but the K2 is truly a delightful day to day ham radio. I use
it mobile, portable and at my desk, just one rig.

Confession: I did not build the little gem, I have kids and a job too,
so something had to give, so a while back I bought a few year old
fully optioned K2. Perhaps I should start a list for folks who own
K2's and didn't melt the solder in it.

73, Mark - KC0FNS
Eric J
2005-05-24 02:06:41 UTC
Sign me up, Mark.

I bought K2 #567 on ebay had all the mods done professionally, and could not
be happier with the rig.

Confession: I DID build my K1 #1976. I hope this doesn't disqualify me from
your list. My experience building the K1 was the reason I chose not to build
a K2 so maybe that redeems me. hi

Eric
KE6US
73, Mark - KC0FNS
JohnK1JD
2005-05-24 10:16:41 UTC
The station here used to have an OMNI VI+ and FT1000mp in addition to a
K2/100 and a K2, but the big rigs were sold off in 2001 after extensive A/B
testing. For my style of operating (essentially CW only), I can't imagine a
better radio. Both were purchased and built in 1999, have performed
flawlessly and are current with the latest firmware and mods.

BTW, there's a whole lot more extra room in the shack without those big
rigs! And the downsizing trend continues, because a KPA800 will eventually
replace an external switching supply, NYE MBVA, Hercules II and QSK-5 with
one more capable and fully integrated box.

73, John K1JD
Jamestown, RI
K2/100 #583
K2 #139
KX1 #1063
XV50, KRC2, DSP, & spot reserved for the KPA800