[Elecraft] toroids
David Schornak
2002-10-17 03:25:00 UTC
I just ordered my first K2 this last Sunday and I am thinking about the =
toroids and buying them pre wound what do you honored gentlemen of this =
reflector think about buying them pre wound vs. winding them yourself?
=20
KG4LSK
David
k2-#??????

multipart/alternative
text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML
or had an attachment. Attachments are not allowed.
Please post in Plain-Text only.---
Ron D'Eau Claire
2002-10-17 03:44:01 UTC
No doubt almost everyone here will tell you to wind them yourself.

However the "toroidguy" keeps very busy shipping out "prewound" toroids
to grateful customers (No, I am NO the "toroidguy" - he IS a buddy of
mine). You get them nicely finished, leads all properly tinned so
there's no question about bad stripping leading to the intermittent so
many ops have had to chase down and they are guaranteed to be on the
right cores with the right number of turns on each coil.

You CAN wind the toroids yourself. There's nothing magic in the process.
But, if the idea of doing it doesn't sound like fun, why bother? This IS
a hobby and it's supposed to be fun. You don't have to etch any PC
boards to build a K2 either. They come all ready to "stuff". And that's
how you can buy the toroids - all ready to drop into the PCB and keep on
buildin'

I did wind my own but...

1 - I've wound countless numbers of them and

2- Mychael the "toroidguy" wasn't doing it when I built my K2.

Ron AC7AC
K2 # 1289

I just ordered my first K2 this last Sunday and I am thinking about the
toroids and buying them pre wound what do you honored gentlemen of this
reflector think about buying them pre wound vs. winding them yourself?

KG4LSK
David
k2-#??????

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative
text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML or had
an attachment. Attachments are not allowed. Please post in Plain-Text
only.--- _______________________________________________
You must be a list member to post to the list.
Postings must be plain text (no HTML or attachments).
Elecraft Web Page: http://www.elecraft.com
George Winship
2002-10-17 03:59:03 UTC
David,

Why don't you wait before ordering them. When you get to the part
where you start winding them, give it a try. Then, if it doesn't suit
you, order them then. I was not looking forward to this either but
after I got started it was kind of fun.

It is not as difficult as you might think and unless you have a
dexterity problem it should be no problem.

73,

George, NC5G K2-2217
ken cubilo electric
2002-10-17 10:52:00 UTC
Hi David , yes George has the right idea, I did not look forward to
winding them but once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy. I have
only about 75 percent use of my right hand and severe carpal tunnel in
the left one and was able to wind them, the worse one is the little guys
on the ssb module.
73 ken w8ob
Phil Wheeler
2002-10-17 12:23:00 UTC
I just ordered my first K2 this last Sunday and I am thinking about the toroids and buying them pre wound what do you honored gentlemen of this reflector think about buying them pre wound vs. winding them yourself?
I've wound my own up to this point, David. That said, I have ordered
the pre-wound ones for my KAT100. I've got some time constraints just
now, and figure it will save me a bit of time. Plus it will be nice to
see his product for myself.

I must say that of all the aspects of kit building, I dislike winding
toroids the most -- especially the ones with lots of closely spaced
turns (makes counting tough). But I've toughed my way through it on all
Elecraft products to date.

But I do think you should do it once, just for the experience :)

73, Phil

73, Phil
John O. Newell
2002-10-17 12:53:00 UTC
Torroids are funny things...for me they usually seem like
more of a pain beforehand than after, and I often find
myself enjoying winding them while I'm actually doing it.
Plus, I get a kick of out looking at them when they're
(neatly) done.

But, like the man said, it's a hobby, not a penance!

73
John Newell
KB1FPM
Bob Lewis (AA4PB)" (Bob Lewis (AA4PB))
2002-10-17 13:00:04 UTC
My personal preference is to look ahead in the manual and wind and tin
all the toroids ahead of time and place them into individually marked
coin envelopes. That way I don't have to stop the construction process
and set up to wind a toroid. That also gives me some time lapse
between the time I wind the toroid and the time I install it in the
circuit. I get a fresh look as I double check the turns count just
before soldering it into place.
Mychael Morohovich AA3WF" (Mychael Morohovich AA3WF)
2002-10-17 13:00:00 UTC
David/KG4LSK asked, "I just ordered my first K2 this last Sunday and I am
thinking about the toroids and buying them pre wound what do you honored
gentlemen of this reflector think about buying them pre wound vs. winding
them yourself?"

Hi, David-

As Ron asserted, there is certainly nothing magical about toroids. With some
attention to detail, coupled with the excellent instructions Elecraft
supplies, you should be perfectly capable of winding and tinning them
yourself.

That said, I do see quite a bit of business from builders who are a mite
timid about the process of fabricating inductors, especially the tinning
aspect. A poor job in that area can lead to pesky problems down the road
where the barefoot K2 is concerned, whereas poorly tinned leads with the QRO
amp can lead to more serious problems. Some builders wish to tax neither
their fingers nor their eyes or feel they have already paid their dues where
toroids are concerned and are not interested in winding more. Others are
aiming primarily to expedite the build.

Whatever the reason, the service is available at what I am consistently told
is a reasonable price. If you have any further questions, or need some
advice on the process, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Happy building,

Mychael AA3WF
K2#1025
f***@wanadoo.fr
2002-10-17 13:25:00 UTC
Didn't you ever curse this blooming enamel wire ( particularly the thin
one ) which slipped out of your clumsy fingers, just when you were about to
complete your coil onto that old fashioned cylindrical dowel, and changing
into an unmanageable spring that you had to straighten up again , and of
course rewind from the beginning...? (1)
If you didn't, I DID and I can tell you that winding a toroid core is much
easier than you may think.
Believe me, have a go, and you'll like it.
73 to all Jim F9OJ K2# 937
(1) Sorry if my sentence is a bit "entangled"..so was the wire !
Denis Dimick
2002-10-17 16:15:06 UTC
As a total newbie kit builder.. I have to say that I really enjoyed
winding all of mine for the K1 and the 4 band borad, with AT. Once you get
past the first one, it's all down hill from there.. It's VERY EASY!!

Try it, the worst that will happen is your go out and buy them later..

Good Luck,

Denis - KC6AUP/AG
Leo Starrenburg PA5LS
2002-10-17 16:32:01 UTC
Hello David,

welcome to the club !

My two cents worth on toroids:

you have to decide if you want to savour the construction or go on the air
asap: I don't know the Toroid Guy's workload, but I presume buying is
quicker.

You have to know that PTTL, ie: poorly tinned toroid leads are a major
factor in malfunctioning K's. It's not so much the winding, as tinning the
leads that makes the difference.

My experience: winding was a relaxing and enjoyable task, following the
instructions in the manual on the tinning (used the "blob" method) has given
me fully functional K1 and K2 sets. There's plenty of material, so cutting
up a couple of leads and practicing the tinning is possible.

Happy building !

73'Leo.