What else can we design for you today?
Lee Buller
2003-04-25 16:53:00 UTC
I would like to see.... Watt Meter - A very good one that one could build that would go from 1 watt to 2000 watts. Accurate. SWR Meter also. Digital meter with an option for an analog meter---I am not sure what the means either. I just like to see dips and peeks. PEP reading. Tap for scope connection. Could be used with any rig....not K2 specific. There are a lot of watt meters out there on the market today, but I don't believe any of them are very acurate. UHF/VHF SSB/CW rig. There just are not any out there on the market right now. I would like to get into some VHF and UHF work with all the modes, but there are a lot of issues getting on those bands with CW and SSB. Lots of FM rigs, but not a good SSB/CW rig. So, I guess this is a vote for the XVTER gang. Quality speaker for the K2. Designed to look good, but also designed to sound good. Anyone know a good acoustic engineer? A little black box that can be used with the K2 to be a SWL receiver. The issue is AM receive. HMMMM. But, I am thinking a black box that could be used with the KIO to change general coverage bands. This might be another XVTER type issue. This would be an interesting software issue also. A 1500 watt auto tune tuner....with knobs for those who want to fiddle with knobs. See W8ZR.com A antenna analyzer or network analyzer/LC Meter/etc. A scope/counter using LCD and goes up to at least 100 Mhz or higher. Or use a PC as the "output" device. Of course, dual trace An Elecraft Spectrogram program. (But why re-invent the wheel?) General Test equipment that is affordable. (Man, this is sounding like Heathkit revisited.) Enuff. Lee - K0WA

multipart/alternative
text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML
or had an attachment. Attachments are not allowed. To learn how
to post in Plain-Text go to: http://www.expita.com/nomime.html ---
Vic Rosenthal
2003-04-25 17:18:01 UTC
Post by Lee Buller
Quality speaker for the K2.
Designed to look good, but also designed to sound good.
I think this is a good idea from a commercial point of view. People
have always been willing to pay a premium for the 'matching' speaker for
their rig. A speaker with an Elecraft emblem on it would sell well.
Technically, I've found that it's hard to get a speaker that sounds good
on CW. Maybe it could have a switch and some passive components to
optimize response for CW or SSB.

Vix K2VCO
Kenneth E. Harker
2003-04-25 17:41:01 UTC
I would love to see a very accurate wattmeter with three ranges,
1-5 W, 1-100 W, and 1-1500 W. Ideally, the indicator would be an LED bar
graph just like the one used in the Alpha 87 amplifiers. Super cool would
be a wattmeter with a display head that has two LED bar graphs and two sense
elements - perfect for two radio contest operation.

Another great toy would be a transverter interface box that handled
automatically switching between several transverters. If it could make
going from 10M to 6M to 2M as simple as it is to go from 20M to 15M to 10M
now, that would be awesome.

Although I already have several Astron linear power supplies, I
might be interested in an Elecraft switching power supply kit. It might
be fun to build a power supply (I've never done it before) and maybe
the kit would be useful for teaching people how to make RF-quiet
switchers.
Kenneth E. Harker "Vox Clamantis in Deserto" ***@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124 Maintainer of Linux on Laptops
Austin, TX 78712-1188 USA http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/
Don Wilhelm
2003-04-25 18:25:01 UTC
I would love to see a very accurate wattmeter with three ranges,
1-5 W, 1-100 W, and 1-1500 W. Ideally, the indicator would be an LED bar
graph just like the one used in the Alpha 87 amplifiers. Super cool would
be a wattmeter with a display head that has two LED bar graphs and two sense
elements - perfect for two radio contest operation.
It seems like you are talking about the Tandem Match - designed by John
Grebenkemper KI6WX (who
frequents this reflector). Circuit boards are available from FAR Circuits
and the design has been featured in the ARRL handbook and the Antenna Book
for several years. You may want to check it out.

73,
Don W3FPR
Doug Person
2003-04-25 18:32:00 UTC
I think a watt meter is a great idea. But, I would want a truly digital
watt meter. Having it read in both directions and then calculate SWR would
be nice as well.
73, Doug -- K0DXV

Wayne Burdick
2003-04-25 19:29:02 UTC
Vic, Lee:

An external speaker kit is a great idea, but personally I would want it to be in
an EC2 cabinet, not something taller. (It always annoyed me that my IC730's
speaker was taller than the IC730 itself--this is true of some other
transceivers and their accessory speakers, too.)

We tried putting a front-facing speaker into an EC2 cabinet quite a while ago.
What we found is that you get lots of high end but poor bass and midrange. The
problem is that the box is not tall enough to provide good base "backing" when
the speaker is mounted on the front panel. When the speaker is mounted on the
top, bass and midrange is quite strong because the larger dimension of the box
and the top cover itself provide good low-end emphasis.

What we concluded is that to use an EC2 as a speaker cabinet, you'd have to
either use "porting" techniques (as in the Bose speakers, among others), or
include an active EQ network and audio amplifier. The latter is OK, although it
would require a 12V supply so it's a little less desireable than a non-powered
speaker with similar performance. Can this be done with porting or other
acoustic design techniques? I'm not sure.

While we don't have time in our present schedule to delve into this deeper, we'd
certainly like to encourage others' efforts to put a speaker in an EC2. This
would, as you mentioned, be a very viable product, and we'd get involved taking
it from prototype to production. Ideally we would integrate an optional power
supply into the same cabinet, so the speaker and related electrical and
mechanical components should take up the minimum possible space.

Anyone game? There are EC2 cabinets in stock just itching to be used by audio experimenters....

73,
Wayne
N6KR
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
2003-04-25 19:48:00 UTC
I'm not particularly interested in an external speaker, but I'd really
like to see a lightweight power supply for the K2/100 in the EC2 case,
along with the KAT100.

73, doug
John P. Cummins, Sr.
2003-04-25 19:52:06 UTC
Tom Dooley, K4TJD, and I are working on this concept. We have the
"stuff" (except for the speaker) but haven't had the time.

We are going to put a 20 amp switching supply and a speaker in a
separate EC2 cabinet. Tom has a milling machine that we plan to use for
the speaker opening.

We hope to find a speaker that is 3.25 inches tall at Dayton and then we
will get going. We don't have any thoughts on the porting question but
will work on that when we get going.

Pickett, AD4S
N6KR
WQ8Q
2003-04-26 11:48:00 UTC
You guys might want to try www.partsexpress.com
They sell speakers by the case; and have all quality levels and sizes. I
buy stuff from them from time to time . . . and if you want to check them
out in person, they're not too far south of Dayton . ..

73 de Rick, WQ8Q

Vic Rosenthal
2003-04-25 21:27:01 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
We tried putting a front-facing speaker into an EC2 cabinet quite a while ago.
What we found is that you get lots of high end but poor bass and midrange. The
problem is that the box is not tall enough to provide good base "backing" when
the speaker is mounted on the front panel. When the speaker is mounted on the
top, bass and midrange is quite strong because the larger dimension of the box
and the top cover itself provide good low-end emphasis.
The problem with the top-mounted speaker is that the highs are directed
away from the operator. The result, for CW, is a mushy, thumpy sounding
signal which is hard to copy at high speed. I've found that holding a
flat plate at a 45 degree angle to the top of the rig helps, as does
putting a large PVC pipe elbow over the speaker, but these aren't
elegant solutions.

However...what about an EC2 with a small 'tweeter' in the front panel
and a larger 'woofer' on top? I bet there would still be room for an
optional switching PS in there.

Vic K2VCO
Daniel Reynolds

Clay T. Whitehead
2003-04-25 20:37:01 UTC
The simplest approach here might be to just mount a small computer speaker
cube inside the EC2 enclosure. Mine are 3" cubes. Quality is very good.
That would leave some space inside the EC2 for a power supply.
2003-04-25 21:24:01 UTC
"What else can we design for you today?"
==========
I've been following this thread with great interest, and I'm sure that
Wayne and Eric are, too.

I'd like to see Elecraft continue to grow, and some of the suggestions
seem to make good sense. In particular, I like:

1) KPA1500: This idea might be contrary to the QRPers, but don't forget
that many dyed-in-the-wool DXers also use the K2/100 to drive their KW
amplifiers. There's nothing like 1500W out when competing in a pile-up.
The K2 is rapidly becoming a popular rig with the contesting group, and
they like QRO also. A solid state, no tuneup all-band HF 1500-watt
amplifier in kit form would sell well, IMHO.

2) Wattmeter/SWR meter kit: Both digital and analog types would be
welcome by not only present Elecrafters, but by most other amateurs. An
analog wattmeter would ideally have 3 ranges -- 20, 200 and 2000 watts
full scale forward power, about 10% of those values for reflected power.

3) Test equipment: Start with the simple things, i.e., DVMs, LC meters,
frequency counters, etc. Then get into more elaborate kits like quality
RF signal generators, oscilloscopes, etc.

Other kits, such as VHF/UHF transverters for the K2 should do well, but
the above items, not necessarily related to the K2, might enhance the
growth rate of Elecraft by introducing non-Elecrafters to their product
line.

All of the above should be in kit form, of course. Long ago, the Heath
Company demonstrated that kit building is as important an aspect to the
hobby as operating is.

73, de Earl, K6SE
Julian (G4ILO)
2003-04-26 16:53:01 UTC
I thought about it when building my power supply in my EC2, but I was put
off by the fact that I couldn't make a grille without spoiling the
professional appearance. Plus, the stock K2 speaker delivers bags of audio
so I couldn't see any benefit.

73,
--
Julian, G4ILO. (RSGB, ARRL, G-QRP, K2 #392)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.qsl.net/g4ilo

[snip]

experimenters....
Hagood, Larry
2003-04-28 03:17:00 UTC
How about a 25 amp switching power supply with built in amplified speaker in
an EC-2. AF DSP and a 5Ah gell cell could be options.
David Gropper
2003-04-28 03:32:00 UTC
IMHO - the basic problem is the speaker... here in the USA the
limited response speakers (50 - 7000 Hz) are all about 4" in
diameter (the weight is immaterial) which precludes fitting
into an EC2!! The cannot be fitted at an angle or on their
backs because they are also about 3.7 inches deep.

Telefunken (in the ECU / EU) used to make shallow rectangular
speakers about 5 cm by 10 cm that had a relatively good bottom
end (150 Hz) but the top end was about 14,000 Hz - and we get
the hiss / white noise.

I've tried searching the we for that type of speaker with no
luck... Has anyone else located something like that???

Compared to fitting a decent speaker, t he power supply would
be relatively simple for a K2! The K2/100 would have to be a
switching supply and we all know what that means......

Dave KK7SS
K2 #3003