[Elecraft] (no subject)
John Cooper
2003-04-25 02:12:00 UTC
For those of us not able to make the dayton hamfest when will we find =
out what you(wayne and eric)came out with, will you post it on the =
website the day of or a couple days after or will it be circulating the =
reflector here first?also is it cheating to ask if this will be =
specifically for the k1 or k2 or both? Thats all thnx for the great lil =
radios!

john wt5y

multipart/alternative
text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML
or had an attachment. Attachments are not allowed. To learn how
to post in Plain-Text go to: http://www.expita.com/nomime.html ---
Wayne Burdick
2003-04-25 03:35:06 UTC
For those of us not able to make the dayton hamfest...will you post it on the website
the day of or a couple days after or will it be circulating the reflector here first?
Probably the latter.
...is it cheating to ask if this will be specifically for the k1 or k2 or both?
Yes. ;)
...thnx for the great lil radios!
What else can we design for you today?

73,

Wayne
N6KR
Trevor Jacobs
2003-04-25 03:41:01 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
A K2 that fits in an altoids tin and draws <20 mA on receive ;-)

73's Trev KG6CYN
http://www.qsl.net/kg6cyn
David Gropper
2003-04-25 06:55:01 UTC
The motto in the squadron crew room (240 Squadron - RAF )
read
"The impossible we do immediately
Miracles take a little longer!"

Dave KK7SS
K2 #3003
;-)
Vic Rosenthal
2003-04-25 07:19:00 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
The KPA1000.

Vic K2VCO
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
2003-04-25 14:38:01 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
A good mechanism for connecting two K2's together, so one could have
dual receive on HF, and full-duplex satellite operations, using
transverters.

73, doug
Jonesy K9NX
2003-04-25 23:04:00 UTC
I agree after having a rig that has a subreceiver it is a very nice tool to
have
in working the pileups for DX, also while contesting running statons on the
main receiver and using the sub receiver to tune for multipliers.

Jonesy
K9NX
K2 #3198
Douglas Westover
2003-04-25 17:15:01 UTC
I'll second that.

Doug
W6JD

2003-04-27 02:31:59 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
a modular legal limit amp; so you can build it as a 750 or 1500....
start with the 750 and add another module & additional combiner...
solid state of course...
maybe using 300 watt modules,,, whatever the cost for the devices dictates,,,

next... the aux bus controller , which will enable dual k2 operation
for doing all the cool split stuff...

I will buy both...
on the amp price is not an issue...

bill

check out the amp modules the broadcasters use on the big 50 KW harris
jump from my ham pictures to the WLS pictures

NY9H pictures on Epson's Photo site,
the pix files are large,

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1771119&a=13683578
Trevor Jacobs
2003-04-25 09:38:01 UTC
Wayne,
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
On second thought, and more realistic, how about a modern Link Coupled
Balanced Line Tuner for 160 through 10 Meters good to a KW of 100%
Modulated Carrier. Similar to the Johnson KW Matchbox, but with 160
Meters plus the WARC bands. Now that's something I'd spend big $$ on...

73's Trev KG6CYN
http://www.qsl.net/kg6cyn
rich a." (rich a.)
2003-04-25 11:41:01 UTC
General Coverage SWL Reciever.....please......thanks.

Rich K2CPE
K2 #1102
Kevin Cozens
2003-04-25 19:16:01 UTC
Post by Vic Rosenthal
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
The KPA1000.
I thought we were supposed to be QRP enthusiasts. Why on earth would we
need that much power? :-)

Seriously, I have worked over 180 DXCC entities (mostly using SSB) with
only 100 watts into a ground mounted vertical. I have never felt the need
to use any more power than 100 watts.

I'd like to see an improved KSB2 that has:
1. a built-in mic amp (with variable gain?), and
2. adjustable VOX sensitivity.

Item 1 could be done with a small mic amp circuit (ie. as suggested in one
of the K2 mods) feeding a digital pot to control the effective gain. Item 2
might be doable via two or three resistors (or an unused D/A output from
the MCU if there is one available) connected to unused MCU outputs to vary
the voltage applied to U4-3. Alternatively, just add a set and forget trim
pot to set the VOX level since most users will likely use the rig with only
one microphone.

Also, I'd really like to see new firmware that fixes issues mostly related
to the behaviour of the VFO and memories (and one item re: the rate button)
that are the only items in the K2 that detract (IMHO) from an otherwise
great rig.

In terms of something different, a rig like the K2 for VHF/UHF would be
great. Power out of up to around 25 to 35 watts would be good too. If it
could be put in the same size case as the K2 it would make for a nice
complement to the K2.

Cheers!

Kevin. (http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/)

Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172 |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Packet:***@ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na| Try to assimilate the world!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> | -Pinkutus & the Borg
Peter Halpin
2003-04-25 08:14:00 UTC
Hi all,
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
What I've been moaning on about for years: a 6m transverter!

145, Pete PE1MHO - G7ECN - M3ECN K2 #2768
Jibeji
2003-04-25 10:47:01 UTC
In addition of a 2m transverter... :)
--
F8DQL - UFT 1116
K2/100 #3249
Post by Peter Halpin
Hi all,
2003-04-25 11:06:00 UTC
I for one would be willing to break the piggy bank for a
QRO antenna tuner, something like what the Heath
SA-2500 was. Nobody makes a fully automatic
antenna tuner these days (that I know of) that can
safely (highlight SAFELY -- that means without
burning up) handle the full legal limit. The LDG
AT-1000 is an "almost legal limit" tuner. I'd have
no problem plunking down a kilobuck or a bit more
for such a piece of machinery, even if it used
servomotors to do the tuning.

My $0.02.

73,

Bob WA4FOM

Trevor Jacobs
2003-04-25 11:36:01 UTC
Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather twist the knobs than have an auto
"Match Box" at the home QTH. It's nice for portable if you're running
the antenna straight from the rig, like the K1, but I'd rather have a
manual "Match Box" for home use. The old Johnson KW Matchbox is great,
and I can get the SWR to 1:1 easily on 80,40,20,15, and 10. And I mean
NO reflected power from the balanced line...

73's Trev KG6CYN
http://www.qsl.net/kg6cyn

Jack Brindle
2003-04-25 19:57:02 UTC
Post by Trevor Jacobs
Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather twist the knobs than have an auto
"Match Box" at the home QTH. It's nice for portable if you're running
the antenna straight from the rig, like the K1, but I'd rather have a
manual "Match Box" for home use. The old Johnson KW Matchbox is great,
and I can get the SWR to 1:1 easily on 80,40,20,15, and 10. And I mean
NO reflected power from the balanced line...
While I agree that twisting the knobs and moving the coil taps on my
"old-fashioned" swinging-link tuners can be fun, I'd really rather
not have to do that during a contest. Even with markings that tell me
what settings are needed for each band/segment, it is still a rather
large pain to have to reach over and adjust the tuner.

I definitely am on the side of automating the adjustments as best as
possible. I might, however, add some push-buttons on the front panel
(remote-able, of course) to allow semi-manual tuning.

The next step, of course, would be to somehow enclose a version of
the tuner in a weather-proof box so that I can mount it outside
closer to the antenna. That would resolve the problem of running
open-wire line into the shack.

Not too bad for a wish item, eh?

-Jack Brindle, WA4FIB
MacDobs - helping to shift the paradigm for low-cost amateur astronomy.
Deinhardt, Toby
2003-04-25 16:14:00 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
A user API for user modifications to the Firmware and/or
support for user designed add ons.

An example might be: more than 4 Filters per mode
switchable via an external computer (change the
bandwidth in a 'almost' continous fashion ...)

Just dreamin'

73 de DJ7MGQ
N2TK, Tony
2003-04-25 17:33:00 UTC
Wish list.
1.Would like to see a KPA1500(1500W output continuous) using a switching
supply and solid-state finals. Auto tune of course. Also optional remote
panel so amp can be remoted (like Acom 2000A).
2. Mod kit for the RIT/XIT for the K2 so pot was replaced with something so
that there would be a "clear" button to zero the RIT. The "clear" should be
able to be used while transmitting.
3. IF DSP mod for K2
4. Interface so that 2 K2's could be tied together - One as an external
receiver and the other as a transceiver, with the audio set up as stereo.
This way you can simultaneously listen to your transmit freq and receive
freq in each ear when running split. Or, maybe a K3 that has 2 receivers in
it.
5. An optional carry-case, foam lined with room for your K2, key and
headphones. A baby Pelican case?

Got my money and can't wait till Dayton to get my K2.
Tony
N2TK

5. An optional carry-case, foam lined with room for your K2, key and
headphones. A baby Pelican case?
Pelican does make a whole range of case sizes, including cases too small for a
K2 to fit inside.
Kenneth E. Harker "Vox Clamantis in Deserto" ***@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124 Maintainer of Linux on Laptops
Austin, TX 78712-1188 USA http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/
Keith
2003-04-25 19:37:01 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
A 12 inch 160/80 meter dipole!

Best Regards, Keith
NW Oregon Radio Page http://home.earthlink.net/~kilowattradio/

k***@enterzone.net
2003-04-26 04:17:00 UTC
Post by Kevin Cozens
Post by Vic Rosenthal
Post by Wayne Burdick
What else can we design for you today?
The KPA1000.
I thought we were supposed to be QRP enthusiasts. Why on earth would we
need that much power? :-)
Seriously, I have worked over 180 DXCC entities (mostly using SSB) with
only 100 watts into a ground mounted vertical. I have never felt the need
to use any more power than 100 watts.
QRP is great and I love working QRP. For "armchair copy" on 75m during
the summer in a roundtable discussion, it is nice to be able to throw some
more power into the air. No - it is not necessary to run that much power,
even in the summer on 75m to do a quick QSO but, it is sure more pleasant
to not have to strain to hear someone when you're having a 3-4hr QSO with
10 other operators.

73 de John - K4WTF
K2/100 #2490
WAS #8
Rod Adams
2003-04-28 01:35:01 UTC
Hi All, With an eye towards the direction of the solar cycle, how about a
K1-3 filter board for 80, 40 & 20M? Or maybe 160, 80 & 40/20M?

73,

Rod VK3CBO

K1 #1155
Wayne Burdick
2003-04-28 05:21:00 UTC
Post by Rod Adams
Hi All, With an eye towards the direction of the solar cycle, how about a
K1-3 filter board for 80, 40 & 20M? Or maybe 160, 80 & 40/20M?
Hi Rod,

This might be possible. Added to the future file....

Thanks,
Wayne
Dave
2003-04-28 06:56:01 UTC
I'll second that... maybe even a four band board with at least 80m on it
(and a KAT1B with wider tuning range)

Dave, G4AON

Bozidar Benc