[Elecraft] K2 Microphones
Wayne Reed
2005-11-17 21:31:05 UTC
Gang,
Just put the SSB board in my K2 [S/N 4858]. I have tried my Shure 444 with the K2 and seem to have no drive. I think I will try a portable telephone headset. I will need to get some bias for the mike from the K2 then I'll find out if I have a problem with the SSB board or my old trusty 444.
Would like to hear from those who have used cheap/nonstandard microphones with the K2.
Wayne K9NE
Don Brown
2005-11-17 21:51:40 UTC
Hi

I have used the model 701 hand mike sold by TenTec on the K2. This mike
comes with a 4 pin connector but if you change it to the 8 pin used on the
K2 and add the 5.6K resistor from the +5 volt pin to the AF pin on the front
panel board it works fine. It only costs $28. If you add the bias resistor
most headsets for cell phones should work also if you change the connector
or build an adapter cable with a PTT button. Most dynamic mikes do not have
enough output to properly drive the K2 without a preamplifier. The electrit
capacitor mikes like the TenTec or headsets work fine. The MH2 hand mike
sold by Elecraft has been discontinued. This mike had a electrit element
inside it.

Don Brown
KD5NDB

Wayne K9NE
Nick
2005-11-17 21:53:34 UTC
Wayne,

The Shure 444 has a high impedance. This works great with an old valve TX (I
use one with my Drake T-4XC), but not with the K2 or another modern rig.
Try a small audio transformer.
Rgds
Nick - PA?NCV
K2 - 1510
KX1 - 681

Mark Saunders, KJ7BS
2005-11-17 22:21:08 UTC
I put the hand microphone from my Kenwood TS-850S/AT on my K2 and it works fine and I've had good audo reports.

The K2 requires a low impedence microphone and the TS-850S/AT requires a 500 or 600 ohm (can't remember which) impedence microphone. The K2 uses the same 8-pin connector as the Kenwood, so I thought this a good match. I've since purchased a second Kenwood hand microphone, on eBay, so I have one for each radio.

Mark Saunders, KJ7BS
Glendale, AZ

Ron D'Eau Claire
2005-11-17 23:09:42 UTC
In addition to Nick's comments, these days "cheap" and "nonstandard" are no
longer synonyms. Like optics and other highly-complex precision
manufacturing processes, automation has brought the price of high-quality
mic elements down to a few dollars. Almost all the various microphones sold
for communications purposes use the same low-cost elements. The difference
in price is mostly the packaging and, occasonally, the name on the package.

I picked up a Radio Shack electtret element that I mounted in a hand-held
mobile microphone enclosure. The original enclosure held a dynamic element
about 1 inch in diameter that fit snugly in a ring moulded in the case
behind the grille. I wrapped the tiny electret module in soft sticky foam
tape until the diameter matched the moulded ring, then pressed in place so
the element is suspended by the encircling foam.

The impedance the K2 audio input sees is defined by the 1,000 ohm biasing
resistor required by the electret element. Complete hookup instructions come
with the mic element. The output is adequate to drive the K2 to full output
on all bands. You'll notice that on most K2's the demands on audio from the
mic is greatest on 10 meters. That's because the transmit RF chain overall
gain is lowest on 10 meters. You can easily determine whether you have
adequate gain by switching the bargraph from RF to ALC mode. If one bar
flickers slightly in ALC mode, you are making all the RF you can. More bars
just mean that the system is backing down the gain more on bands where the
overall gain is higher. You can tell if you're making full output by whether
the 10 (or 100 watt if you have a K2/100) bar on the RF meter just flickers
on peaks, but it's usually easier to see whether a bar is flickering in ALC
display mode.

Lest I be accused of belittling many of the excellent (and expensive)
communications microphones out there, let me add a couple of observations.
The electret element sold by RS (and most others) is a "hi-fi" element,
providing an essentially flat frequency response from a few HZ to well over
10 kHz. That means that the audio bandwidth transmitted is determined
entirely by the crystal filters in the K2.

In the 'old days' of conventional A.M. few rigs used filtering. The audio
response was quite broad and limited more by the microphone than anything
else. For those rigs, microphones that rolled off the audio below about 200
Hz and above 5 kHz were highly-desirable for best communications quality
audio. The microphone's characteristics were aided a bit by the selection of
components in the audio circuits that helped establish the frequency
response, but most of the shaping came from the mic. Many of the most
popular microphones of that period had a shaped audio characteristic that
rose from about 200 Hz to about a 6 dB peak at around 3,000 Hz before
dropping off again. That produced a little "brilliance" or high-frequency
emphasis to most voices that made them easier to copy under noisy
conditions. I've tried such mics with the K2 (using a suitable transformer
since, as Nick said, the impedance of these mics is usually quite high -
50,000 ohms is common). In my estimation, there's no real advantage to using
such mics with the K2 because the filters in the K2 can be adjusted to
product the desired characteristic with a flat response from the microphone.
The high impedance makes the microphone more susceptible to RF intrusion and
requires a matching device between the mic element and the rig: a
transformer or audio pre-amplifier.

But, for those who love their prized D-104 or other vintage mic, they do an
excellent job if the impedance is properly matched to the K2. A good friend
once sent me a beautiful Astatic D-104 as a gift. I happened to be doing
some work on his 1950's vintage E.F. Johnson Viking Ranger AM/CW transmitter
and, after playing with the mic on my K2, I couldn't help but send the mic
back to him with the repaired "Ranger". Some things just belong together.
Sort of electronic Feng Shui, I guess.

Other things that justify the cost of many mics are the nice packaging with
an attractive and convenient desk stand, boom arrangement our headphone boom
mounting. Also, well-designned "noise cancelling" microphones earn their
price when used in very noisy environments. Typically, they have special
elements with a baffle arrangement that directs your voice to only one side
of the mic element while allowing sound travelling from around you to strike
both sides of the mic element simultaneously. Sound waves striking both
sides of the diaphragm simultaneously will produce very little movement and
little or no output from the mic. Some exotic designs use two mic elements
and add their outputs together to cancel the noise while attenuating your
voice only sliightly.

Ron AC7AC
Dan Barker
2005-11-17 23:17:53 UTC
Hear, hear!

I have an "official" MH-2, and the element in it went south. Elecraft says
"Call Bob". Bob's website says send lots of money, the mic, and wait a
while.

The Radio Shack element was $1.95, looks identical to the Heil element, and
works great. The original dynamic element of the mic (from before it got
it's MH-2 nameplate) is still in there disconnected. The little electret
element is beside it.

All works fb.

Dan / WG4S / K2 #2456

<snip>
Ron sez:

</snip>
Vic K2VCO
2005-11-18 00:24:15 UTC
Post by Dan Barker
The Radio Shack element was $1.95, looks identical to the Heil element, and
works great. The original dynamic element of the mic (from before it got
it's MH-2 nameplate) is still in there disconnected. The little electret
element is beside it.
I have to admit to operating a tiny bit of SSB. I had an old friend
(since gone to his reward) who had forgotten the code and I needed to
get on 75 meters to work him. He gave me one of those Radio Shack
electret elements.

I got a piece of 3/4" or so PVC and a couple of PVC pipe caps, drilled
one cap for the element and stuck it on the pipe. I drilled the other
for the cable on the other end. While I was in Radio Shack, I picked up
a cheap but solid mic stand and a little foam gadget that is used to
reduce "plosive" response. It fit perfectly over the element. I put a
bias resistor and blocking capacitor in the tube, and hooked it up. I
painted the thing flat black.

It looked totally professional and got reports equal to or better than
various other mics that I tried. The total cost was about $10.
--
73,
Vic, K2VCO
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco
Leon Cluff
2005-11-18 00:22:17 UTC
I have a new K2 and bought a "Texas Ranger" non-amplified microphone from a
truck stop (Johnson's Corner on I25 near Loveland, CO) for $17. I had to
change the connector which I bought from Radio Shack.

This is not where I bought the microphone, but here is a link to the one I
have. I got the "Replacement Mike". I didn't think I would need an "Echo
Mike", HI HI.
http://www.dx-electronics.com/mics.htm

I have had nothing but good reports on the quality of my audio. My brother
W7CKW said it sounded good to him and he knows what I sound like.

73's
Leon NE0N

EricJ
2005-11-18 00:43:24 UTC
My pre-built K2 (SN567) came with one of those MC-43 handheld mics that come
with every Kenwood ever sold, I think. I thought they were just used to
cover up the unsightly mic jack on the front of the rig, but turns out it is
a pretty good mic. I hope I'm right about this, but I think Don W3FPR even
recommends their use with the K2. I've only made one SSB contact with my K2.
It was a few months ago on 15 meters. There were 4 VKs on the air and NOBODY
else. One called CQ and I returned the call. I was running 5 watts 'cuz I
forgot to run it up higher after being on CW. The mic must have been up to
the job. I got a 559 and a clean audio report.

Eric
KE6US
www.ke6us.com