[Elecraft] K2 & Solar Power
l***@aep.com
2003-04-28 05:39:07 UTC
With Field Day approaching, I'm considering setting up a solar power
configuration for my K2. Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

73,
Lynn, K5AVJ
K2 #1411

multipart/alternative
text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML
or had an attachment. Attachments are not allowed. To learn how
to post in Plain-Text go to: http://www.expita.com/nomime.html ---
S***@ITWFEG.COM
2003-04-28 15:23:00 UTC
Lynn,
I operated my K2 on solar power last year during FD. Not ever desiring a
battery accident of any kind while mounted inside my K2, I used 2 external
SLA batteries rated 12 V at 7aH. External batteries also permit me to
experiment with varying combinations of batteries as well as makes it easy
to swap batteries while operating. One can correctly argue that with two
batteries of this size and a K2, no charger was needed for the FD
period.... however, I was interested in the solar power process, so I
proceeded.

One battery was placed on charge while I operated from the other. Charge
controller used was the Micro M+:
http://www.seslogic.com/microm%2B.html
although the offering from Don Brown here on the list looks like another
excellent alternative. Some charge controllers generate undesirable RF
hash noise. Neither of these designs do! If your panel is small enough
in proportion to your battery capacity, you could probably get by without
a charge controller, but I liked the idea of a device that would monitor
charging battery terminal voltage and essentially throttle back the
charging process to prevent overcharging.

I placed the battery, charge controller, and panel in the sun away from
the operating position (we operated in the shade). Wiring was done with a
series of leads with alligator clip ends. I used a Unisolar USF-5
flexible solar panel. This is a 5 watt panel purchased from:
http://www.mrsolar.com/panels/unisolar.htm

While my setup is not particularly elegant, it worked!
GL & 73,
Steve
aa8af

***@aep.com
Sent by: elecraft-***@mailman.qth.net
04/27/2003 10:52 AM

To: ***@mailman.qth.net
cc:
Subject: [Elecraft] K2 & Solar Power

K2 #1411
r***@staffnet.com
2003-04-28 15:50:01 UTC
From Bob Lewis (AA4PB):

I maintain that unless you carefully monitor the battery charge condition, one should always use a charge controller when charging from a solar panel. Even if the panel capacity is small compared to the size of the SLA battery, the panel will attempt to output 16 volts or so under bright sunlight. If left on even a large battery long enough, this will overcharge it. A $25 charge controller is cheap insurance.
W***@cs.com
2003-04-28 20:57:01 UTC
Hi Lynn

At Field Day last year, Don Brown, KD5NDB, brought out two 35 watt solar
panels, his solar controller, and a 35 amp-hour gel cell battery. If I
remember correctly, we operated his K2/100 with this setup for the entire FD
period. This year we will have one or two of his K2/100s for SSB, my K2/100
for CW, and three 80 watt panels with bigger gel cell batteries. Because the
K2, even with the 100 watt amp, draws a very modest amount of current, it is
ideally suited for this type of operating. As mentioned here, Don sells his
solar controllers in kit form, and this nice thing about that is you get to
build something else to play with. If you have not yet build the KPA100, you
can get by with a much smaller solar panel and couple of 7 amp-hour gel cell
batteries. May your Field Day site be a sunny one!

73,

Don McNallen
K2/100 #2478

Daniel Reynolds
2003-04-28 21:18:00 UTC
Just a quick question - from previous experience of most K2 Field Day ops...
how much battery is enough for the entire Field Day?

Would one of those portable WalMart 'jumpstart' portable batteries have enough
capacity?

Also ... what do you figure is your duty cycle (Trans/Rcv) for CW during Field
Day?

Thanks,
Daniel
Karl
2003-04-28 22:38:03 UTC
That would depend on how much power output you're running from your K-2,
Daniel.

5 watts? 15 watts? 20 watts? What kind of transmit-to-receive duty cycle
are you planning to use?

In my opinion, you can never have TOO MUCH battery power on hand!

Karl K - W8TIF
McKinney, Texas

2003-04-29 01:24:01 UTC
I am pretty sure we had a similar jump start battery and it did not last 24
hours.

That of course depends on the rig you are running and its receive and
transmit current drain. A Ten Tec Scout takes more current to deliver 5
watts than an Elecraft K2 does for example.

We have used 45 amp hour 12 batteries for various 5 watt level operation of
rigs such as Kenwood TS 130, and 140, TT Scout, K2, 817, etc. Also used
deep Cycle Marine batteries for whole 24 hours, while usually swapped out
the 45 amp hour types to not take them down too far. We have seen them stay
up pretty well on active band like 20m coming down from 13 to 12.6 volts in
24 hours.
73,
Stuart K5KVH
W***@cs.com
2003-04-28 22:05:01 UTC
Daniel

If you are using the K2 as a QRP rig, the "jump start" battery might work.
Current drain on receive should only be 250 mA or less (your mileage may
vary). The Wal-Mart type battery I have is a 19 amp-hour one, so 24 hours on
receive at 250 mA is no problem. Of course transmitting is going to require
1.0 to 2.0 amps if you stay at 5 watts or less. The K2 is rated for 2 amps
at 10 watts. Duty cycle for CW is pretty low, 50% or less. If you are like
most operators, you will be doing more listening than transmitting. Let's
say you transmit 30% of the time. At the risk of greatly oversimplying
things, here is the way I would figure it:

For RX: 24 hrs x 250 mA x 70% time factor = 4.2 amps
For TX: 24 hrs x 2.0 amps x 50% duty cycle x 30% time factor = 7.2 amps

The 2 amps I use for the TX current is meant to be conservative figure; you
probably won't use that much at 5 watts with a well built K2. Most of the
jump-start gel cell batteries I see in the discount stores are 17 amp hour
ones. That much capacity should be adequate unless you transmit a lot more
than the scenario I have outlined above.

Good luck,

Don
K2 #2478

David A. Belsley
2003-04-28 22:19:01 UTC
Daniel:
I don't always work the full 24 hours of FD, but I work a lot of them.
Two 7 aH batteries are more than enough when running 5w.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy
Professor of Economics
Robert Fanfant
2003-04-29 07:01:00 UTC
I use a 75 amp hour marine batter to power the computer & my K2 for the
duration of the contest without a problem!!!
-rob

Daniel Reynolds
2003-04-28 22:07:02 UTC
Hey there gang... still no remarks from all of you out there (not even a
suggestion to drop the topic) - I guess I'll just keep hounding until someone
either agrees or disagrees...

Simply put - I propose that K2 operators (and K1's also) should call 2 kHz
above the normal QRP frequencies. Call whenever you can. AND... just like the
HFPack group - if you are on and don't hear anyone calling CQ, call CQ
yourself.

For operators in the U.S. the following Elecraft call frequencies will apply...

1812
3562/3712
7042/7112
10108
14062
18098 (QRM? de W1AW)
21062/21112
24908
28062/28112

"CQ CQ CQ ECFT DE AA0NI AA0NI K"

Is someone already using the frequency? Then QSY within +/- 0.4 kHz of the call
frequency. Most K1/K2's are probably set up to handle filtering as tight as 200
Hz, so it seems feasible that we could have 5 QSO's operating on or near the
call frequency (e.g. 7041.6, 7041.8, 7042.0, 7042.2, 7042.4). I've chosen the
800 Hz bandwidth to comply with the widest filter setting of the K1. Any
Elecraft owner should be able to sit on the call frequency with their filter
set to 800+ Hz bandwidth and hear any call on or near the call frequency.

In summary
==========
No special times to call - call anytime. Call 2.0 kHz (+/- 0.4) above the
normal QRP frequencies. Call "CQ ECFT". Exchange model and serial number.
That's all there is to it.

Have fun contacting other Elecraft owners!

72/73,
Daniel/AA0NI
W***@cs.com

Lee Buller

garigue
2003-04-29 02:37:01 UTC
Have used a Micro M for over a year now on the K2. no problems. I have 2
sq ft of panel that I got from The Electronic Goldmine. Definitely a lot of
fun running the K2 from my old Miata battery.

73 Tom KI3R Port Vue Pa nr Pittsburgh
Dave Gingrich K9DC
2003-04-29 05:47:00 UTC
Post by Daniel Reynolds
Just a quick question - from previous experience of most K2 Field Day
ops...
how much battery is enough for the entire Field Day?
I can easily get six hours or more out of the internal 2.9 amphour
battery in the KBT2, therfore it would seem reasonble that something in
the range 12 to 15 amphour would survive an entire Field Day event.

===========================
Dave Gingrich, K9DC
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
===========================
Tony Wells
2003-04-29 09:25:01 UTC
Folks,

Just to let you know that I've been swamped with other stuff that is
preventing me from spending as much time on completing the last phase of K2Z
and other collaborations.

I'm finalising the last remaining minor but irritating K2Z problems, but I
have so little time in the day to devote to the project that it is taking a
long while to complete the task.

I can't say when I'll be able to issue the final version, but I hope to have
all the non-K2Z stuff out of the way by this weekend, so hopefully I'll be
able to finalise things next week.

Regards,

Tony
Uxor non nutritor meus aeral ut canis