K3 needs survey -- firmware and application software
Wayne Burdick
2009-12-23 18:02:02 UTC
Hi all,

As you probably know, we keep a list of firmware features and
improvements to be added as time permits. Many of the most-requested
changes were made over the past several months, keeping pace with the
demands of the fall/winter contest season. (A few that come to mind:
switch sequence automation via macros, improved DVR interaction with
PTT, main/sub audio mixing, improved NR, lockable transmit controls,
and many enhanced remote-control commands.)

As we head into 2010, we'd like to refresh the master firmware list
based on your input. Items already on the list have priority, of
course, but this is a great opportunity to let us know what else is
missing or could be improved. Our goal is to make the K3 as easy to
use as possible, while providing the advanced features you need for
specific operating situations.

We're also planning a renewed effort to assist application software
developers. If your ideas for improvements involve changes to both K3
firmware and a favorite application, we'll pass it along to the
developers and work with them closely.

We're making great progress on the P3 Panadapter and other new
products. There will be some surprises in 2010 :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR
Mike
2009-12-23 18:19:02 UTC
How about a webpage listing the features(non-prioritized from your
standpoint)? With the ability to add to it, and maybe vote on the requests?

I love surprises(weeeelllllll mostly).

73, Mike NF4L
Bill W4ZV
2009-12-23 18:27:44 UTC
I'm a heavy user of diversity (99.9% of the time). I have many different RX
antennas which have differing amounts of gain. For diversity to work
correctly, I need both antennas to present the same RF levels to both
receivers. I can make gross adjustments with ATT/PRE, but for fine tuning I
would like to adjust RF Gain with a single fader (balance) control as has
been implemented with SUB AF for AF Gain, instead of having to adjust the
concentric RF Gain knobs.

Page 59 of the manual:

"SUB AF - If set to BALANCE, then the SUB AF GAIN control becomes a main/sub
AF
balance control when the sub receiver is turned on (including diversity
mode). In
this case MAIN AF GAIN controls the AF gain level for both receivers. When
SUB AF is at 12 o? clock, both receivers will be at full volume (main left,
sub
right). If SUB AF is rotated fully counter-clockwise, you?ll hear only the
main
receiver. If it?s rotated fully clockwise, you?ll hear only the sub
receiver. At
intermediate settings you?ll hear both. A balance control is very useful for
contesting and split operation. But it can also save a lot of AF gain
control
adjustment (i.e., matching main and sub), since MAIN AF controls both main
and
sub receiver audio."

Please consider a "SUB RF" menu option for balancing RF Gain.

73 & Merry Christmas!

Bill
PA3CW
2009-12-23 18:38:49 UTC
Hi Wayne and Elecraft team,

First of all a bit thank you for the fun I had with the K3 over the last
year, including all the software changes and the involvement of all of us in
the new developments of the K3. I must say this is outstanding and what
puts Elecraft on a different level than any other manufacturer i the market.
This must have had consequenses of increased market share and results of
Elecraft as a company and I hope the company keeps this position of
excellence. That is what makes a difference from a good and a great
company.

As for future developments and wishes, the challenge lays in not listening
only to the one that makes the biggest noise but to the community as a
whole. Some kinde of internet ' poll' would help for sure.
The frequency of new releases, about once a month, is perfect to me.

Also it may be an idea to adress certain users directly by e-mail to ask for
input. Anyway, it is the discretion of Elecraft to prioritize what to do
first.

I wish the team a very Merry X-mas and look forward to 2010....hope there is
still time to ship my XV144 before the end of the year :)

Dick PA3CW
Julian, G4ILO
2009-12-23 18:30:15 UTC
A command to get decoded CW, PSK31 and RTTY text into a computer program
while CAT is enabled (in other words, something better than TT1.)

Support for upper and lower case when sending PSK31 using the internal modem
and computer generated text.

Per-mode equalization.

A discriminator meter for netting FM signals, using the CWT indicator.

Support for PC memory management software (direct access to memories.)

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392 K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html
Ian Maude
2009-12-23 18:38:48 UTC
I would love to see 3 things...

1) Receive EQ by mode
2) Monitor on the KDVR to not be in the TX chain
3) Decent Memory management

Anything else is a bonus but those are my wishes for 2010 :)

Seasons greetings to all the gang at Aptos!

73 Ian
--
Ian J Maude, G0VGS
SysOp GB7MBC & HB9DRV-9 DX Clusters

Wayne Burdick
2009-12-23 18:41:13 UTC
Hi Jack,

We're working on this.

Meanwhile, please try the K3's built-in memory management (see page 16
of the owner's manual). The K3 will automatically save frequencies of
VFO A and B, mode, FM repeater offsets, PL tones, etc., in a memory.
Just tap V>M and select one to save it in.

Also see the information on channel hopping/scanning, page 40.

73,
Wayne
N6KR
Wayne,
Even though I am a brand new K3 owner (received last week), we
really need a software program to manage memories. Need to read and
write to the K3, freq, mode, offset for fm repeater work
This is really basic to radios I have had for over 5 years?.anyway,
hope this makes the priority list.
Thanks for a great Radio!
Jack
W4GRJ
[...]
12/23/09 08:28:00
__._,_.___
Reply to sender | Reply to group
Messages in this topic (2)
? New Members 9
Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
MARKETPLACE
Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living
Parenting Zone: Your community resource for family and home
Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest ? Unsubscribe ? Terms of Use
.
__,_._,___
W4GRJ

Steve Ellington
2009-12-23 18:43:57 UTC
One Request:
Make sidetone adjustable without producing the tone and so you can do it
when sending like any other rig.

It's hard to change sidetone when in QSO. The tone covers up the other
station! I should be able to continue keying and not kill the adjust pot.
It's simply a mess the way it is now. 73
Steve
N4LQ
03:28:00
Guy Olinger K2AV
Edward Dickinson, III
2009-12-23 19:03:17 UTC
SWR Meter Peak Hold on SSB
Improved SWR Accuracy

73,
Dick - KA5KKT
Barry N1EU
2009-12-23 19:09:57 UTC
To address the limited display area of the K3, I'd like to see a simple pc
application that will present a virtual K3 display on the computer screen
and provide full-time display of:

shift (numeric)
width (numeric)
power
compression
mic gain
sub preamp
sub antenna selection
sub shift
sub width
AF Limit
AGC hold
AGC DCY
AGC SLP
AGC THR

(meant to be display-only and not to change settings, to be used in
conjunction with LP-Bridge so that the CAT port can be shared with other
applications)

73,
Barry N1EU
Georgens, Tom
2009-12-23 19:55:26 UTC
Outstanding suggestion. I would second this one. Even better if we
could change the settings

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Dick Dievendorff
2009-12-23 20:21:55 UTC
Would you dedicate the K3's serial port to this function? Instead of a
contest logger?

Dick, K6KR

Julian, G4ILO
2009-12-23 20:27:31 UTC
Post by Dick Dievendorff
Would you dedicate the K3's serial port to this function? Instead of a
contest logger?
Why would you need to, given LP-PAN, VSPE etc?

-----
Dick Dievendorff
2009-12-23 20:34:38 UTC
Would the loggers object to receiving responses to commands that they didn't
issue?

Dick, K6KR

Dick Green WC1M
2009-12-23 22:30:44 UTC
Dick,

LP-Bridge acts as a traffic cop that allows multiple programs to share the
K3 COM port without interfering with each other. It opens the K3 COM port
and sends various commands to obtain a continous flow of commonly-sought
status information. It intercepts status commands from multiple programs
attached to virtual COM ports and routes the appropriate status information
to them. When a program sends a command to the K3 that elicits a specific
reponse, the response is sent back to that program only.

73, Dick WC1M
Would the loggers object to receiving responses to commands that they didn't
issue?
Dick, K6KR
Would you dedicate the K3's serial port to this function? Instead of a
contest logger?
Why would you need to, given LP-PAN, VSPE etc?
-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392 K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html
--
http://n2.nabble.com/K3-needs-survey-firmware-and-application-software-tp420
Post by Craig Smith
9832p4210432.html
Dick Dievendorff
2009-12-23 22:38:26 UTC
If one program opens a menu, and another program sends a VFO "UP" command,
is the second program's UP command deferred somehow because the first
program has a menu open?

If one program sends a frequency change command, will the second program be
aware of that new frequency without polling?

My point is that the programs must cooperate, and that's not always
possible.

Dick Green WC1M
2009-12-23 23:07:20 UTC
Not sure exactly what you're describing in the first example, but I believe
the answer is that the commands are serialized. I'm not sure just how clever
LP-Bridge may be about deferring or discarding commands that can't be
executed because the rig is in a state that prevents it. This probably
happens all the time, without LP-Bridge, when the rig is transmitting and
the logger wants to change some parameter that can't be changed during
transmit. The command is essentially ignored in that case.

The second example is straightforward. If a program sends a frequency change
command, the second program won't be aware of it unless it polls or sends an
appropriate status query command. But this is no different from the scenario
where the user manually twirls the VFO dial. That's why most programs that
need frequency information either poll or issue commands to get status when
it's needed.

73, Dick WC1M
Would the loggers object to receiving responses to commands that they
didn't
Post by Craig Smith
issue?
Dick, K6KR
Wayne Burdick
2009-12-23 23:20:57 UTC
I don't think all such cases can handled in reality. Programs doing
menu manipulation should capture the full attention of the radio. The
user should be instructed to turn everything else off in this case.

Wayne

----
http://www.elecraft.com

On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:38 PM, "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven at comcast.net>
Post by Dick Dievendorff
If one program opens a menu, and another program sends a VFO "UP" command,
is the second program's UP command deferred somehow because the first
program has a menu open?
If one program sends a frequency change command, will the second program be
aware of that new frequency without polling?
My point is that the programs must cooperate, and that's not always
possible.
Dick
Would the loggers object to receiving responses to commands that they
didn't
Post by Craig Smith
issue?
Dick, K6KR
Dick Dievendorff
2009-12-23 23:23:25 UTC
I agree. Several subset cases can be shared within the scope of LP-Bridge's
virtualization of the K3. I just don't know where the edge is... Opening a
menu is perhaps not something you'd want to do with multiple applications
running.

Dick

Would the loggers object to receiving responses to commands that they
didn't
Post by Craig Smith
issue?
Dick, K6KR
Julian Moss
2009-12-23 23:40:12 UTC
Perhaps the solution is to make it possible to obtain information
about the state of things that an operator might want to change
without having to open a menu?

Barry asked for some specific information to be displayed on-screen.
He was not even requesting the ability to change those items from the
computer. Perhaps there could be an "extra information" command that
reported the current state of various settings that are not displayed
on the K3 screen but which an operator can readily change and would
want to check on? I'm not sure why he wanted to see AGC configuration
settings as I would not consider those to be something that is
normally changed during operation. Many operators probably never
change those settings.
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
Dick Dievendorff
2009-12-23 23:51:36 UTC
Barry asked for the ability to display AGC parameters. These values are
currently read by accessing menus and reading them from the VFO A display
area. During that menu access, another application might send an UP or DN
command, which could change one of the AGC parameters. That's my only
point. New single-command queries could solve that particular issue.

I don't know the list of K3 commands that LP-Bridge blocks. I don't know how
LP-Bridge uses its knowledge of what one application is doing to influence
the commands permitted by another. I'm using the TelepostInc.com LPB html
help page as my source of info on what LP-Bridge does.

LP-Bridge offers a useful subset of the K3 Command set to many applications.
But it's the LP-Bridge virtualization that these applications see, and
that's different from the K3 programmer's reference command set. This is a
very useful subset, but arguably insufficient for the requested application.

Dick, K6KR

G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
Julian Moss
2009-12-24 00:07:44 UTC
Yes. I don't know why he asked for that. Perhaps he would care to say
why it would be useful? I don't think that many people would want that
information on display in real time so I wouldn't expect that
developers would rush to provide a display that showed AGC parameters
anyway.

Applications should not be accessing menus unless they are
configuration tools which should not be used while loggers and other
software is running. If developers find a need to access menus in
their applications for reasons other than configuration, it could
indicate there is a need for a command that could directly access that
information.
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
Dick Green WC1M
2009-12-24 00:10:02 UTC
Post by Julian Moss
If developers find a need to access menus in
their applications for reasons other than configuration, it could
indicate there is a need for a command that could directly access that
information.
I couldn't agree more.

73, Dick WC1M
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
jmalloy
2009-12-24 00:38:08 UTC
In the past few days, I've noticed the KPA3 in my K3 serial number #584
acting "flaky". Well, today it apparently failed -- or maybe I'm
missing something (?). No matter what I do, the rig is limited to 12 W
(or so it says); I've switched the KPA3 on and off numerous times in
software, I've removed and reinserted the KPA3, I've checked the circuit
breaker with a VOM out of circuit, I've tried another power supply, and
so on. No joy. Before I contact Elecraft I'd like to hear the
collective wisdom of the group -- what else can I try to get things working.

Tnx and MC!

73,

Joe, W2RBA
Thomas Norff
2009-12-24 01:20:28 UTC
Joe,

have you checked the 'internal information ' ?

use:

OM * (Option Module Query; GET Only)
RSP format: OM APXSDFf-----; where any of the letters APXSDFf, if present,
indicate installed and detected
option modules (see list below). The positions of the letters are fixed. If
a module is not present, its letter is
replaced by a dash (-). For example, if only a PA and sub receiver were
installed, "OM;" would return "OM -P-S--
------;". The five dashes at the end are reserved for future module letters.
Option List: The letters (and associated positions) in the OM string refer
to the following option modules:
A = ATU (KAT3), P = PA (KPA3), X = XVTR and RX I/O (KXV3), S = Sub Receiver
(KRX3), D = DVR
(KDVR3), F = Band-Pass Filter module, main (KBPF3), and f = Band-Pass Filter
module, sub (KBPF3).

During initialisation all installed modules are detected ... independent
what you have configured
If your module is dead i would expect this to be reflected in the OM output.

vy 73
Thomas, DM7TN
K3/100 #78

Dick Dievendorff
2009-12-24 01:26:44 UTC
I believe the OM; query returns the result of the configuration menu
settings. The KPA3 menu setting should be "PA NOR".

Dick, K6KR

Bill W5WVO
2009-12-24 01:51:42 UTC
Dick,

I experienced this same problem exactly on my SN 888, complete with
intermittency of the symptom. After some consultation with Elecraft tech
support, they sent me a KPAIO3 board -- the board that the KPA3 connects through
and that contains the 12VDC sensor circuitry. Unfortunately, I haven't been able
to get to installing it as yet. It's on the list for when I return from holiday
vacation out of town. My bet is that this will cure the problem. I'll let the
list (and Elecraft tech support) know when I swap it out and try it. Should be
first week of January, possibly end of December.

Bill W5WVO
Thomas Norff
2009-12-24 02:41:06 UTC
... as always Dick is right ... one nice command lost ... at least for me

Joe,

do you get any ERR ... displayed after switching-on the K3 ?
If not the installed KPA is responding to the internal commands.

Did you check the relay as described in the installation manual of the KPA
----------
Connect a power supply to your K3 and test the fans and KPAIO3 interface
control as follows:
Press the POWER button to turn the K3 on.
Hold CONFIG to select the Configuration menu, then turn VFO B to KPA3.
Normally, the display will
indicate NOT INST (not installed).
Turn the VFO A knob to PAIO ON, then turn it further to PAIO TST. When
moving between ON and
TST, you should hear a relay click on the KPAIO3 board. If you don't, press
the K3 POWER button to
switch it off, then on again and retry the test.
Turn the VFO A knob on past TST to FN1, then FN2, FN3 and FN4. The fans
should start turning at
FN1 and increase speed as you continue to FN4.
Turn the K3 off and disconnect the power supply.
----------

vy 73
Thomas, DM7TN
K3/100 #78

jmalloy
2009-12-24 01:26:20 UTC
Thanks for the suggestion, Ed, but I don't see any hint of carbon on
either the plug or the receptacle pins that connect the KPA to the rest
of the radio. Do you know -- or does anybody know? -- what sort of
"quick check" of voltages I could measure to check whether the KPA is
functional?

Thanks again, Ed!

73,

Joe M.
This happened to me. The connector between the KPA and the vertical
board failed. The contact carbonized. Once one of the six starts to
fail, the others take up the extra current and then they fail. If you
disassemble the KPA you will notice the blackening of the six pins that
carry the PA current. Replacement of both the male and female connector
is required. If you loosen the connection and wiggle things around, you
might get enough friction to get it to run for a little, but it will
eventually fail again.
Barry N1EU
2009-12-24 00:34:56 UTC
My list of displayed parameters was just a first proposal. If AGC params
can't be displayed because of the command set implementation, then we can
shorten the list I suppose.

As far as why I'd want to display AGC hold, DCY, SLP and THR - these are
dynamic settings that I want to change depending on my operation (S&P vs
running, etc) and on condx. I'm sure many operators would want the ability
to display these without digging into the menu. It seems like programming
could easily accomplish this with a nifty onscreen display taking up perhaps
5-10% of the monitor's screen. And it could be configurable so you'd
display just the set of parameters YOU want to see; i.e., leave off AGC if
you don't want to see it.

73,
Barry N1EU

proposed:
shift (numeric)
width (numeric)
power
compression
mic gain
sub preamp
sub antenna selection
sub shift
sub width
AF Limit
AGC hold
AGC DCY
AGC SLP
AGC THR
N8LP
2009-12-24 02:13:13 UTC
Here are some answers to some of the questions posed about LP-Bridge
behavior...

1. LPB responds to all application "GET" commands from memory, without
passing the commands to the K3. This happens asynchronously from up to five
applications at the same time. Each application only sees responses to its
own queries, unless the user has checked the "AI1" or "AI2" options for that
virtual port.

2. LPB forces the K3 into AI2 and K31 meta modes. There are optional check
boxes for each virtual port to change the AI behavior on a per-application
basis, as mentioned above. Making adjustments at the K3 will not generate
commands to any application unless its virtual port has the "AI1" or "AI2"
option checked. There is no provision for accommodating K30 meta-commands.

3. The only commands that LPB allows to propagate to the K3 are SET
commands. Normally, this is not a problem, but there is a chance that two
applications could conflict in this regard when accessing menu data. This is
complicated by timing considerations. This should be a rare occurrence, but
I can see possible cases where it could be a problem. For instance, if a
program uses periodic VFO UP or DN commands to implement scanning and then a
second program starts a menu access operation during the scan. I would have
to think through all the combinations, but it seems that the operator's
limitation of only having one mouse and one free hand would limit the cases
where a problem could exist.

4. LPB will not allow use of the K3 Utility through a virtual port for
safety reasons.

I am considering adding code to lock out SET commands from other virtual
ports once one app sends a MNnnn; command, until the MN255; command is sent.
This could cause other problems, though. It would be better if the UP/DN
commands associated with the menu functions could be changed to menu
specific special commands, like UPM and DNM, as opposed to using the regular
VFO UP/DN commands. This of course would become an issue with existing
programs.

73,
Larry N8LP

Zoli Pitman HA1AG
2009-12-24 11:19:09 UTC
Barry asked for the ability to display AGC parameters. These values are
currently read by accessing menus and reading them from the VFO A display
area. During that menu access, another application might send an UP or DN
command, which could change one of the AGC parameters. That's my only
point. New single-command queries could solve that particular issue.
------------

exactly. Maybe u want to block CAT-sourced commands the while menu is open. (or at least some of them - think on remote operation, negative testing)

interesting thread. tnx.

73,

zoli ha1ag
Ignacy
2009-12-24 02:09:57 UTC
1. NTCH within AGC
2. Manual NTCH narrower (like in IC-7000)
3. DUAL PB with adjustable Q so that it works closer to audio filters
(current Q mostly too low).
Dave Hachadorian
2009-12-23 20:36:35 UTC
As previously reported:

1. Eliminate power transients when transmitting FSK-D.

2. Raise threshold on AF Limiter to prevent gross distortion when
receiving CW with AGC OFF.

Thanks for listening, and Merry Christmas to all!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.
Craig Smith
2009-12-23 19:12:43 UTC
Two items here:

RX EQ by mode - or at least one separate setting for CW!

Build as much flexibility and functionality as humanly possible into the P3, even if much of it is optional. Perhaps the last near-term opportunity to add major hardware to the K3 and provide extra switches and operator interface capabilities.

Thanks for a GREAT product! Happy holidays and 73.
... Craig AC0DS

pd0psb
2009-12-23 19:20:54 UTC
To keep it as brief as possible:

-RX EQ per mode, so every mode can be tailored (and we will never get into
"noise threads" again :-)
-European 144/430 FM step raster support 6.25 and 12.5 kHz (With the K144XV
in mind)
-Memory editor utility and 50(?) more memories (also with the K144XV in
mind)

Some less secrecy about The List would be very welcome. May be a periodic
report of things-on-the-horizon,or an overview of priorities. This might
take some excess "heat" of reflector...

Have a very merry Xmas and all the best wishes for the Elecraft team in an
undoubtedly exiting 2010!

73'
Paul
PD0PSB

Doug Joyce
2009-12-23 19:26:54 UTC
Wayne: Please take a look at and correct the power output discontinuity as
the PWR adjust is changed from "12" to "13". Further details of actual
power ouput sent to Gary (in support) 22 Nov/09 with request that he cc to
you.

Thanks & looking forward to the P3.

Seasons Greetings to all

73, Doug VE3MV
K3/100 s/n 2432

2009-12-23 19:36:35 UTC
Both the KX1 and the K3 announcements were real surprises to me. They
certainly were well-kept secrets.

The K3 built-in keyer is very good as it is, but I miss the automatic
character spacing of my favorite external keyers (CMOS Super Keyer,
Logikeyers, Accukeyers, etc.). As a CW operator, I would love to see that
feature on the list.

Thanks and 73,

John W2XS

"This is a great opportunity to let us know what else is
missing or could be improved. There will be some surprises in 2010 :)"
Bryan, ZL1NI

John W2XS
Grant Youngman
2009-12-23 21:48:42 UTC
I'e been using the same (now old) homebrew Accu-keyer with auto character spacing since the articles were originally published in QST. I'm so used to the timing, it's hard to send decent CW otherwise. Except with a Lightning Bug, although some may not consider the swing "decent" :-)

It would be a nice-to-have feature. I've ever used the internal keyer on any radio I've owned since they are generally a featureless afterthought included to put another checkmark on somebody's list.

Grant/NQ5T
Arie Kleingeld PA3A
2009-12-23 21:29:08 UTC
- Main and Sub Rx audiomix:
Leftchannel -> 100% main and 50% sub and
Rightchannel -> 100% sub and 50% main

- Bring Notch filter inside AGC-loop (or partly inside)

- P3 point and click to change freq with a usb-MOUSE

Thanks
73
Arie PA3A
f6dex
2009-12-23 21:44:47 UTC
Wayne,

I updated my list of bugs and suggested changes.... Please give me your email.

Pse reply to help at trx-manager.com

Best regards, Laurent F6DEX
http://trx-manager.com
Gary, W7TEA
2009-12-23 21:51:31 UTC
I would love to see separate volume adjustments for Spot and Sidetone.

Happy Holidays to all!

73, Gary W7TEA

-----
73,

Gary W7TEA K3 #1001
Phil &amp; Debbie Salas
2009-12-23 22:24:02 UTC
For external amplifier and external high power auto-tuner use, I'd like to
see the followiong:

1) External ground that automatically puts the K3 into a low power CW tune
mode. This is normally a command from an external auto-tuner that comes
after an amplifier.

2) When the low power tune mode input is externally supplied (from a remote
autotuner), you should have the option of disabling the amp-key output of
the K3 since you want to tune your autotuner with low power. This is not
necessary with some autotuners. As an example, you can pass the amp-key
from the K3 thru the MFJ-998 and the MFJ-998 unkeys the amp for you before
it starts to tune. But other autotuners (like the LDG AT1000PRO) don't have
this feature.

3) Power level saved per antenna per band. I have my amplifier set up on
ANT2, since my amp doesn't have 6 meters. This way I can operate barefoot
on ANT1 thru 6 meters. When I put the amp in-line I use ANT2. If the power
could be saved differently on ANT2, then I could properly set the amp drive
per band and it would always be correct.

73,
Phil - AD5X
Dick Green WC1M
2009-12-23 22:38:30 UTC
My wish is to be able to change any setting while transmitting. Most
important, I would like to be able to change Width, Shift, Hi, Lo, RIT/XIT,
RIT/XIT on/off, and RIT/XIT CLR. I'd also like to be able to change EQ, VOX
and AGC parameters, though those are less important.

73, Dick WC1M
N6KR
Julius Fazekas n2wn

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2/100 #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3 #1875
WW2PT
2009-12-23 22:42:29 UTC
1. Restore the full range of SHIFT while in 10 Hz resolution
(currently limited to 1.28 to 1.72 kHz) to match the range while set
to 50 Hz steps (0.05 to 2.60 kHz).

2. Increase power output to around 800W by means of some sort of
external add-on device. :-)

Merry Christmas!
Paul WW2PT
AD6XY
2009-12-23 22:43:59 UTC
There is a lot here about the K3 firmware tweaks - so I will address the
other sides of Wayne's question.

Application software - I have a KRC2 and I would like it to know the
difference between 6m and 10m. In fact it would be nice to get away from the
fixed bands per relay and instead map bands and potentially sub-bands to
relays via the utility. The new KRC2 firmware can apparently manage this but
unfortunately the KRC2 setting utility can not yet program it. It would be
great to have an update to that.

Not asked but new hardware - how about a multiple antenna output board
without an ATU? Especially for those of us using HF and 6m beams. The IC7000
has 4 antenna sockets. The K3 has 1.

Please can we have an XV70 transverter? Many more Eu states are getting 4m.
Julius Fazekas n2wn
2009-12-24 02:38:24 UTC
Application software - I have a KRC2 and I would like it to know the
difference between 6m and 10m. In fact it would be nice to get away from the
fixed bands per relay and instead map bands and potentially sub-bands to
relays via the utility. The new KRC2 firmware can apparently manage this but
unfortunately the KRC2 setting utility can not yet program it. It would be
great to have an update to that.

*** It would be nice to be able to say switch between LC networks when
moving from one end of 160 to the other. Of course, I would go for a remote
ATU from Elecraft too (nudge nudge wink wink)

Not asked but new hardware - how about a multiple antenna output board
without an ATU? Especially for those of us using HF and 6m beams. The IC7000
has 4 antenna sockets. The K3 has 1.

*** I'll second this too. Kit form would be great.

73,
Julius

-----

Wes Stewart
2009-12-24 00:20:45 UTC
Rather than call this by a term that might be confusing let me explain how my other radio works and suggest that the K3 have an option for the same.

In my TS-870 I can set sub-band limits for mode.? For example, from 14.000 to 14.150 the mode defaults to CW.? If I tune above 14.150 the radio switches to USB.? If I step back to 14.150 or below, it's back to CW.

Of course I can manually override this in cases like when a DX station is on SSB working split on 40-meters and he's in the U.S. CW band.

Wes? N7WS

Joe Subich, W4TV
2009-12-24 01:05:21 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
As we head into 2010, we'd like to refresh the master firmware list
based on your input. Items already on the list have priority, of
course, but this is a great opportunity to let us know what else is
missing or could be improved.
1) Implementation of Yaesu-style VFO/Sub RX/Audio Mixer control:

Left Right
FR0 VFO A/Main VFO A/Main ; "normal"
FR1 VFO A/Main VFO A/Sub Rx ; "diversity"
FR2 VFO A/Main VFO B/Sub Rx ; "dual"
FR3 VFO B/Sub Rx VFO B/Sub Rx ; "transceive B"

FR "number"/"level" appears as the "v" byte in the IF status.

2) Eliminate the prohibition against using the FM filter for
AM/ESSB transmit.

3) Monitor level by mode and by headphones/speakers

4) Set/Get for TX EQ and RX EQ to allow directly reading/setting
all 8 bands are one time).

5) SL/SL$; and SH/SH$; to allow direct Set/Get of LO cut and
HI cut frequencies.

73,

... Joe, W4TV
Joe Subich, W4TV
2009-12-24 01:15:21 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
I don't think all such cases can handled in reality. Programs doing
menu manipulation should capture the full attention of the
radio.
Menu manipulation should be minimized: Add Set/Get commands for
TX EQ and RX EQ, Time set, Date Set, Mic Select.

73,

... Joe, W4TV
Would the loggers object to receiving responses to
commands that they
Post by Dick Dievendorff
didn't
Post by Craig Smith
issue?
Dick, K6KR
Would you dedicate the K3's serial port to this function? Instead
of a
contest logger?
Why would you need to, given LP-PAN, VSPE etc?
-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392 K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html
--
http://n2.nabble.com/K3-needs-survey-firmware-and-application-software
Post by Dick Dievendorff
-tp420
Post by Craig Smith
9832p4210432.html
Joe Subich, W4TV
2009-12-24 01:25:21 UTC
Post by Phil &amp; Debbie Salas
1) External ground that automatically puts the K3 into a low
power CW tune mode. This is normally a command from an external
auto-tuner that comes after an amplifier.
Agreed, with a configurable power level. This would provide
compatibility with the Yaesu Quadra "TF" function.

Also a digital pulse output with the ATU Tune tap if the KAT3 is
not installed or not enabled. This would allow triggering the
tune function in external auto-tuners (e.g., Icom AH-3 and AH-4).

73,

... Joe, W4TV
Jim Miller
2009-12-24 02:23:55 UTC
As another mentioned, a digital signal out when the ATU is uninstalled or
disabled and Tune is tapped to allow activation of an external tuner would
be very nice to have. I use a remote tuner (T1) at my antenna base and the
internal tuner in the K3 as well at times.

73

jim ab3cv
Jim Miller
jim ab3cv
Lee Buller
2009-12-24 03:59:00 UTC
Boy....the dam and broke....? Spent the lats 45 minutes reading all this stuff.

Here is my very short list.

1.? Power control - Fine and Course? To many turns to get to the power I want.? Especially driving an amp.? I think that others have talked about power control with amplifiers.? In my shack, I would like to set the output more quickly when I have the amp running.

2.? I would like to see a computer program that looks like the front of the K3 with pull down menus for various or all the parameters.? There are some utilities out there that are close.? I would like to see pull down menus so an operator can change parameters quickly instead of going to the menus inside the radio.? It is more a convenience than a real operating issue.

3.? In reference to the above...it would also be nice to have "files" saved so that the K3 can be changed on a "per operator" basis for multi-op conditions.? I know my hearing is not the same as the younger guys, so I have to change the EQ.

Now with all this said...there might be software out there that does that anyway, but I cannot keep up with the reflector as much as I want to.? There is a lot of information and opinion flying here...so I might a missed a thing or two.

Still - and excellent radio

Lee - K0WA
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply. If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it. If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense. Is Common Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind. -? J. Wolf
Gary, VE1RGB
2009-12-24 08:37:37 UTC
I think it was all a sincere but clever ruse by Elecraft to introduce this
topic right before Christmas. Keeps us all busy dreaming up things to do
and debating the merits amongst ourselves, meanwhile leaving them alone to
enjoy a couple of days off. After Christmas, they come back and pick up the
winner improvement ideas and start a new list.

Gary, VE1RGB

2009-12-24 04:12:11 UTC
Is there any way to setup the K3 utility through LP-Bridge to send macros
for the utility program to the K3 without having to close LP-Bridge then
starting the K3 utility program? I understand that you have to close the
LP-Bridge for downloading updates. I guess the same applies to the macros.
But thought I would ask.

73,
N2TK, Tony

Would the loggers object to receiving responses to commands that they
didn't
Post by Craig Smith
issue?
Dick, K6KR

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Barry N1EU
2009-12-24 12:30:37 UTC
Post by N2TK, Tony
Is there any way to setup the K3 utility through LP-Bridge to send macros
for the utility program to the K3 without having to close LP-Bridge then
starting the K3 utility program? I understand that you have to close the
LP-Bridge for downloading updates.
Why don't you just use LP-Bridge's "disconnect" option instead of closing
LP-Bridge?

73 & happy holidays,
Barry N1EU
Larry - K2GN
2009-12-24 13:42:27 UTC
A ot of good stuff going on the list.
One thing I'm puzzled about is the amount of external control people are
asking for.
I haven't seen anything that can't be done with existing software.
Programs like N1MM for contest allows you to sent macros to the K3.
A real great day to dat program is he "Commander" module of DXLabs Suite.
Here's my setup.
I connect to the K3 via my microHAM Keyer 2R+ using LP-Bridge(Great program,
thanks Larry)
LP-B stands between the K3 and all other software. LP-B creats a "virtual"
K3 in its memory.
It knows the status of the K3 at all times.
Through the use of "Virtual" COM Ports, LP-B connects other programs to the
virtual K3 and passes only the necessary commands to the K3.
I connect DXLabs' Command, CWSkimmer to a virtual COM port in LP-B. I've
even had N1MM connected at the same time. The Command has a lot of standard
front panel stuff already programmed for the K3 and it has 16 programable
buttons to create macros with and 8 programable sliders for variable control
of thing like audio, etc.
I would suggest that those the want software control of the K3 look into
these programs.
The best part of this is they are ALL FREE!!!
Oh, I forgot to mention that I also can connect the K3 UTIL and EASY-K3 when
running the above setup!!!

Anybody want to discus this setup with me, please drop a line.

Happy Holidays.

de K2GN/Larry
K3 S/N 3278

http://n2.nabble.com/K3-needs-survey-firmware-and-application-software-tp4209832p4213057.html
N2TK, Tony
2009-12-24 04:17:07 UTC
Yes, and be able to select a different group of antennas using ANT1 and ANT2
on the K3 possibly using the DIGOUT1 signal tied into something like the
KRC2. Those who have say two antennas per band can select them from the
front panel of the K3 easily.

N2TK, Tony

srife
2009-12-24 06:50:41 UTC
Some of us are still awaiting the TWO BIG surprises. Got my fingers
crossed.

Stan Rife
W5EWA

Philippe Trottet
2009-12-24 07:37:55 UTC
Dear Eric and Wayne,
Considering all improvements done in 2009 it would be useful to update the K3 user guide in order to have quick acces to all new parameters easily.

I take the oportunity to wish a merry Xmas and a very happy New Year 2010 to both of you and your really supportive team, all "Elecrafters", especially in good health, and that all your wishes come true.
Best 73's
Philippe
A65BI (F5LTB)...ex 9Q1TB & many exotic ones

K3#3616
* Elecraft, by Hams, for Hams....What else !*

Stewart
2009-12-24 08:55:13 UTC
Pretty pleased with the way my K3 works. The only improvements
which come immediately to mind concern the memories.

1) The ability to create, edit and store all K3 memory parameters
on a computer and then upload them to my K3.

2) Some form of memory protection to prevent accidental
overwriting of the memories.

73
Stewart G3RXQ
Jan Erik Holm
2009-12-24 09:07:30 UTC
This is what I like to see:

1. Pritty much no more features just refine and work
on what?s already there, refine the design.

2. Better S-meter resolution, 5 dB not good enough.

3. Possibility to adjust CW keyed envelope rise and
fall time. Think it?s 5 ms now so lets say 5 - 8 ms
adjustable. IMO keying is "too hard" and the result
is "mild" key clicks.

4. I like to see a Service Manual.

73 and merry xmas to the whole Elecraft gang / Jim SM2EKM
David Pratt
2009-12-24 09:00:30 UTC
I do not use headphones and therefore have the monitor at zero so as not
to cause feedback, but it would be nice to hear what's going on when
sending from the DVR. Could the MON be set to a pre-set level when
transmitting from the DVR memory?

(Not sure whether that is included in the following, Wayne. I know it
was on the list at one time but could have fallen by the wayside.)

In a recent message, Wayne Burdick <n6kr at elecraft.com> wrote ...
Post by Wayne Burdick
switch sequence automation via macros, improved DVR interaction with
PTT, main/sub audio mixing, improved NR, lockable transmit controls,
and many enhanced remote-control commands.)
73
--
David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK
------
Geoffrey Downs
2009-12-24 16:33:59 UTC
Strongly seconded David! I would just add for the avoidance of doubt that
MON should go back to 0 again when the txing from DVR memory has finished.
Otherwise it would be possible with a macro.

73 and Happy Christmas to all

Geoff
G3UCK

2009-12-24 09:22:39 UTC
The ability to transmit AM thru the FM crystal filter.

73
Stewart G3RXQ
Guy Olinger K2AV
2009-12-24 14:51:53 UTC
1. Fix it so spot pitch does not mute the RX. Makes it hard to
adjustin a busy contest. At a multi, different CW ops have different
tone centers. Folks at NY4A set it anywhere from 450 to 650. Comes
into play when handing off a run to another op for a bathroom break.
Hit CQ, hand the headsets and jump out of the chair. If I'm taking
over, I may be stuck with that 650 for a while because it mutes on RX
and you can't change it on TX.

2. Make it possible to tune RX while changing NR parameters, currently
VFO A is frozen even though it's not used for setting parms.

3a. Based on a saved RF gain for 50 uV cal signal, allow an AFV
reading mode that is in dBm, with a selectable peak retain mode. This
should not require resynching to 50uV every time, and be remembered.
KRX3 should have its own independent setting. Based upon RF gain
calibration, all that should be needed is front panel settings to be
in a routine range.

3b. Assuming 3a. was done, if two RX and diversity mode is on, display
AFV both signals in a differential mode for concise A/B testing.

3c. Assuming 3a. and 3b. were done, allow for time averaging and peak
save of values. Suggest AGC fast is no time averaging, AGC slow is
time averaging. CW mode is no peak save, SSB mode is peak save. Data
mode shows signal to noise instead of signal.

4. When AGC is off, use the limiter settings to set a very high
intercept "defensive AGC" with response just slow enough to avoid
distortion when a loud signal pops in. Value of lim sets how loud the
signal will get before defensive AGC intercepts, but otherwise RF gain
sets the chain.

5. Data from 3a-c viewable on a horizontal scrolling display on P3
calibrated in dBm. This would include showing both signals from
diversity mode.

6. Fix internal speaker microphonic issue.

7. Add Ultimatic to Iambic A&B paddle modes.

This is not a long list of complaints, just stuff that to my mind
would add to its capabilities.

K3 is best rig I have ever had, by far.

73, Guy.
juergen
2009-12-24 10:44:42 UTC
Hi

We talking firmware only?

Better S-meter resolution maybe a Dbm or Db microvolt scale for field strength measurements

S-meter peak memories - calculates difference for antenna comparisons

Averaging S-meter readings with sampling time setting

Transmit Double sideband suppressed carrier

ISB

Tuning pulser with variable duty cycle(I know you can do it on CW)

VU meter for TX audio settings

White noise generator

Sweeping audio oscillator

Predistortion for better IMD on TX

Class A bias or variable bias

EQ per mode

Fast selection of EQ on TX, maybe 2 selections DX and normal

High boost for the TX audio like the Kenwoods have

Split band speech processing

Syllabic SSB squelch

Variable TX bandwidth like the Icom 756 PRO

Wide and narrow notch filter

APF filter

Disable speech processor on play back from DVR

10 minute QSO timer

Bug keying

"MY BANDS" enables you set your own bands ie MARS or MARINE or AERONAUTICAL

Remote control like the TS480

Power output control in Db steps maybe 1, 2 or 3db

QRP power set activation for MAX power of 5 watts

Beacon MODE like the California DX associations beacon format

Lock the internal RTC to the TXCO

SELCALL on HF this would be a first(dont know if its legal)

Excuse me if many of these things are not technically possible. I am just dreaming!

John
Sam Carson
2009-12-24 14:54:46 UTC
For us microwavers, who find the K3 to be the best microwave IF rig, the
ability to lock the K3 to a 10 MHz reference is very important. Microwave
receiver bandwidths are getting smaller and an insignificant frequency error
at HF results in an error of hundreds of kilohertz if not megahertz at
microwave frequencies.

Sam Carson
K4SOC
K3 #140

Barry N1EU
2009-12-24 15:04:25 UTC
Post by Wayne Burdick
As we head into 2010, we'd like to refresh the master firmware list
based on your input. Items already on the list have priority, of
course, but this is a great opportunity to let us know what else is
missing or could be improved. Our goal is to make the K3 as easy to
use as possible, while providing the advanced features you need for
specific operating situations.
Give some attention to the very useful AF Limiter firmware and implement a
"soft clipping" algorithm.

73,
Barry N1EU
N3PSJ
2009-12-24 16:05:21 UTC
I would like to see the K3 have advanced serial command set that would allow
the programmer to send the commands with an ID that would be returned when
the K3 responds. That would allow Larry to modify LP Bridge so that it
could route the appropriate response to the appropriate sender without
having to poll the radio continuously. I would also like to see the serial
port send a broadcast when user changes settings on the radio. That would
allow the programmer writing the desktop application to get updates from the
K3 without having to poll the radio continuously. So it would be like a
serial port event being raised or interrupt being fired.

I would be willing to help with this effort, although I don't have a lot of
time to devote.

I would also love to see a ethernet port on the K3 instead of a serial port.
With popularity of wireless networks this would allow controlling the radio
without a dedicated computer at the rig.

Ken Nicely N3PSJ.
drewko
2009-12-24 17:03:24 UTC
1) A mode specific BAND switch (i.e., CW, SSB, AM, etc would each have
ten dedicated bands avaialble, independent of the other modes)

2) A "live" PITCH control so you can hear the pitch of received
signals as you adjust it, not covered by sidetone.

3) A "smart" passband shift step: 10 Hz for narrow filter widths 50 Hz
for wide, automatically selected.

4) Make the SQUELCH control functional for SCAN and permit live
adjustemt of squelch while scanning.

5) Allow live fully variable SCAN rate adjustment while scanning.

6) Enhanced switch macros: conditional execution and manipulation of
frequency memory.

7) Make the two non-numeral keypad keys (SPOT and AFX) available for
"quick" memory storage/retrieval using V>M and M>V.

8) Allow CW bandwidth wider than 2.8 KHz.

9) Allow LCD backlilght and LEDs to both be set to miimum brightness
at the same time.

73,
Drew
AF2Z
Bert Craig
2009-12-24 17:07:56 UTC
Wishing you all and your families a warm holiday season and a very healthy
happy new year.

Warmest Wishes,

Bert, WA2SI
Grant Youngman
2009-12-24 17:57:55 UTC
I have to admit that reading these posts has been interesting, if not down right exhausting.

Some good suggestions, some pretty narrowly focused and esoteric ones, some related more to the (at best) barely coherent jumble of PC software sitting behind the radio than the radio itself, and some downright head-scratchers that kind of make you wonder ... (??)

An idle perspective K3 purchaser would have to believe that the receiver can't hear anything because it's noisy, that there's something seriously wrong with AGC, that the S-meter doesn't work right, that it's basically impossible to use effectively, that the radio doesn't meet all high precision test equipment needs in the radio room, and that the radio clearly has a wide range of miscellaneous "faults" that just scream to be fixed NOW or else various users will trash it in favor of something else, which will be clearly faultless :-)

Grant/NQ5T
K3 2091 with most everything
Guy Olinger K2AV
2009-12-24 19:31:27 UTC
Good thing that reflector not the prime sales media. I would assign
that to word of mouth and Elecraft repeat customers. You got one
contester telling another that he hears things with his K3 that never
heard (or never heard well enough to copy) before, and it gets around
that a multi/op owner listened to one of them in a contest elsewhere
and then bought eight of 'em for himself, you pretty much don't care
what's in an ad or posted in a reflector.

Word of mouth and repeat customers are a businessman's best friend.
Why a "good name" means so much and is a commercial tangible asset.

The FT1000MP heavily penetrated the contesting market a decade ago.
The K3 has done at least that well.

73, Guy.
Graham Kimbell (G3TCT)
2009-12-24 17:53:54 UTC
I would certainly find it helpful if the memory function was improved. The
ability to scan through tv and beacon channels is an important way of
spotting openings on 6m, and would be assisted by
- recalling mode as well as frequency,
- allowing selection of mode specific scanning or all mode scanning (allows
eg scanning of FM channels only, or usb channels only, or all)
- ability to tag a memory with "skip" to cope with a channel that's occupied
or has a birdie
- scanning with or without muted audio

Graham
N2TK, Tony
2009-12-24 20:38:25 UTC
Larry,
Good input. Right now I am running LP-Bridge to the K3 with SteppIR,
DXBase2007, AXETTY, Power SFR/K3 IF Stage and Skimmer without any problems.

Will have to check out Commander. I am looking for an easy way to play with
the macros without having to switch things around or open and close
programs.

Merry Christmas
N2TK, Tony

Brian Machesney
2009-12-24 21:38:41 UTC
I would like to be able to "lock" the "V->M" front panel key.

In what must surely be the latest evidence of my brain's declining function,
I constantly confound the "V->M" and "M->V" buttons, inadvertently writing
over the memory contents. Pressing the "V->M" button while it is "locked"
would produce an audible beep and the text message "unlock V->M"

Along the same lines, I find that pressing "M->V" does not load both saved
frequencies into the main and sub receivers if the main and sub are set to
different bands when the key is pressed. I would like to have a way to make
this the default behavior when pressing the "M->V" key.
73 -- Brian -- K1LI
Gary Hinson
2009-12-24 21:52:58 UTC
Post by Brian Machesney
In what must surely be the latest evidence of my brain's
declining function,
I constantly confound the "V->M" and "M->V" buttons,
inadvertently writing
over the memory contents. Pressing the "V->M" button while it
is "locked"
would produce an audible beep and the text message "unlock V->M"
Nice idea Brian, a kind of senior interlock.

Meanwhile, I've taken the very simple but surprisingly effective measure of colouring the V->M
button red with a marker pen. I now think twice before pressing it. Usually.

I've also managed to delete the contents of a memory accidentally, more than once, by trying to
escape from the memory entry mode having ignored the red. Hitting the CLR button doesn't just
cancel the memory entry mode, it clears the memory, as it is supposed to do according to the manual.
Maybe the K3 should require a double-press or hold of the CLR button to clear a memory?

73 & merry Christmas all,
Gary ZL2iFB
Don Wilhelm
2009-12-24 22:22:32 UTC
Brian,

Concentrate on the labels below the buttons - V>M is RECord while M>V is
PLAY - that helps keep my head 'screwed on right'.
You may get the lockout sometime, but that is not now.

73,
Don W3FPR
Thomas Ries
2009-12-25 13:06:47 UTC
I'd like to see the following enhancement:
Currently the transverter offset can be adjusted +/-9.99 kHz. I'd like
to have this range extended - maybe to +/- 99kHz.

Having an XV432 with stock XTAL + oven, the elevated temperature from
the oven pushes the LO quite a bit in frequency. I know that once can
adjust the LO in a certain range but to get the LO into the +/- 9kHz
range I have to pull it quite close to the point where the LO it stops
oscillating...

Great radio.

73 and best wishes for 2010
de Thomas, HB9XAR
James Sarte
2009-12-25 17:31:46 UTC
I don't know if anyone has requested it yet, but how about a pulse tuning
function for those of us who use tube amps?

73 and Merry Christmas to all!

James K2QI
73 de James K2QI
Carl Clawson
2009-12-25 18:10:47 UTC
I second the motion.

73, Carl WS7L
James K2QI
Mike K2MK
2009-12-26 14:06:28 UTC
Hi Wayne:

1. Some of us use the rear speaker jack for headphones to get a bit more
volume than is provided by the headphone jacks. If you want to use the
internal speaker you have to go behind the radio to unplug the headphones.
The SPKR+PHONES choice is not applicable in this situation. Lyle has
provided a command line code to increase headphone volume (!66;) but it is
not saved through power cycles. It would be nice to have a configuration
menu adjustment for the headphones that accomplishes the same thing but is
remembered.

2. I would like to see the keyer speed adjustment changed so that it takes 2
encoder pulses for each WPM increase or decrease. When you are keying with
your right hand and want to change your speed by 1 WPM it takes a bit of
mental skill to simultaneously use your left hand to turn the knob just a
tiny bit. I find myself jumping 2 or 3 WPM. Slower knob action might help.

73,
Mike K2MK

Joe Planisky
2009-12-26 17:49:40 UTC
Fix strange LO/HI CUT interactions. (Or tell me that the way it works
is intentional or some limitation of the DSP algorithms used.)

Here are some examples of unexpected behavior with FW 3.68 in DATA-A
mode. Numbers in parentheses are the values I get on my K3.

Not an interaction, but unexpected: In LSB, DATA, DATA-R, CW, and CW-R
modes, the LO/HI steps are on x.x5 kHz boundaries (e.g. 0.15, 0.25,
0.35, etc.). In USB mode, they're on x.1x kHz boundaries (e.g. 0.10,
0.20. 0.30, etc.).

Set HI=3.05 and LO=0.55.
- Now set HI as high as it will go. Note the value (4.20)
- Now set HI back to 3.05, and set LO=2.05.
- Again set HI as high as it will go. Note the value (3.15)
So with LO=0.55, HImax=4.20, but with LO=2.05, HImax=3.15

Set HI=3.05 and LO=0.55
- Now set HI as high as it will go. (4.20)
- Now set LO as high as it will go. Note the value (1.05)
- Now set HI=3.15
- Now set LO as high as it will go. Note the value (2.05)
So with HI=4.20, LOmax=1.05, but with HI=3.15, LOmax=2.05

Set HI=3.05 and LO=0.00.
- Now set HI as low as it will go. Note the value (0.75)
- Set HI back to 3.05, and set LO=0.25.
- Again set HI as low as it will go. Note the value (0.55)
So with LO=0.00, HImin=0.75, but with LO=0.25, HImin=0.55
- Bonus: now set LO as low as it will go (0.25)
So with HI=0.75+, LOmin=0.00, but with HI=0.55, LOmin=0.25

These anomalies show up in USB and LSB modes as well, but you're not
likely to run into them in normal voice situations. Likewise there
are similar interactions in CW mode, but I never use LO/HI CUT in CW
mode.

73
--
Joe KB8AP
Wayne Burdick
2009-12-27 19:32:44 UTC
Thanks for the input, everyone. I've saved all of your suggestions,
and no doubt we'll be reviewing and prioritizing well into 2010.

Probably time to end the thread, too.

Here's to a safe and happy new year!

73,
Wayne
N6KR
Olli Tuppurainen
2009-12-28 19:09:34 UTC
I would like to see separate RX EQ setting possibilities for CW and SSB.
At least I prefer totally different values in different modes

BR and HNY

Olli
OH6CT
-----Alkuper?inen viesti-----
L?hett?j?: elecraft-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-bounces at mailman.qth.net] Puolesta Wayne Burdick
L?hetetty: 23. joulukuuta 2009 20:02
Vastaanottaja: Elecraft Reflector; elecraft at yahoogroups.com;
elecraft_k3 at yahoogroups.com
Aihe: [Elecraft] K3 needs survey -- firmware and application software
rkayakr
2009-12-30 13:28:29 UTC
I would like to be able to use the Dual PB filter in Data A. When I'm
searching the digital band segments I usually keep my K3 in DATA A, which is
handy for most digital modes. If I find a RTTY signal, switching to AFSK
means losing the signal and having to reacquire it since AFSK changes the
sideband, VFO tuning and filter center. Why prohibit Dual PB in Data A????

Bob
KD8CGH
KX1 - #1646
K2 - #2122
K3 - #70
Joe Planisky
2009-12-30 22:09:07 UTC
Hi Wayne,

One more item for your list. I just ran into an "ERR PTT" situation
and discovered that you can't turn the rig off while ERR PTT is
showing. I.e. it doesn't respond to pressing the POWER button. I
understand the need to disable most all functionality until the ERR
PTT is cleared, but disabling the ability to turn the rig off seems a
step too far.

73
--
Joe KB8AP
based on your input.
Duncan Carter

Grant Youngman

step too far.
Duncan Carter

Duncan Carter
Joe Planisky
2009-12-30 23:27:59 UTC
Hi Dunc,

Are you saying that you got the ERR PTT indication when nothing was
connected to the rig or at least you couldn't find a definite cause
for it? That's what happened to me. I was getting ERR PTT with
absolutely nothing but power and antenna connected to the rig. After
partial disassembly for inspection, everything started working again.
I never did find a definite cause.

73
--
Joe KB8AP
Duncan Carter
2009-12-30 23:33:42 UTC
It's an occasional problem that started after a recent firmware upgrade
and happens with nothing connected. It clears after I stop and re-start
the power supply, stopping the power supply being required because
nothing else has any effect, and then tap the power button. So far,
it's not enough of a problem to warrant any dis-assembly.

Dunc, W5DC