K2 or K1?
Gary D Krause
2007-04-10 18:41:11 UTC
Hi, I've been reading many of the posts here as well as reading through the
manuals on the Elecraft site. I've been thinking about building either a K2
or K1. I've read some of the magazine articles that state that the K2 is not
a beginners kit and I have read other sources that state beginners have built
the K2 with no problem.

The last time I built a kit was in the eighties. I have no doubt about my
soldering abilities and I know that isn't a problem. I've been told on the
air that if I'm going to build the K2 or K1 to go for the K2. I would like to
build the K2. So, I would like some feed back on what you think. Has anyone
here built the K2 as their first kit or Elecraft kit?

I really don't want to build the K1 first because, I don't want to spend the
money for both rigs. I know I could sell the K1 but, I don't want to be
bothered with that.

Thanks,
Gary, N7HTS
w6jd at comcast.net ()
2007-04-10 18:49:21 UTC
Hi Gary,

As you have had some kit building experience in the past I don't think you should have any problems with the K2. The instrucion manual is a very complete and understandable "Heathkit" style manual. Just take your time and follow the instructions and you'll have a very rewarding experience, If you run into problems this reflector has an amazing amount of expertise. You might consider downloading the manual to see what you would be dealing with.

Join the K2 club!

73,
Doug, W6JD
K2/100 #1626

Craig Rairdin
2007-04-10 18:52:10 UTC
I think you may have answered your own question. The K1 isn't a prerequisite
to the K2, though I believe some of the skills I learned building my K1 paid
off while building my K2. There's no reason a person couldn't learn those
skills building a K2, though. If you don't want a K1 AND a K2, then just
build the K2.

The K1 was a fun kit to build and it is a fun radio to use. But the K2 isn't
that much harder. It is more time-consuming and there are more options.

Like you, I hadn't built anything for a long time when I launched into the
Elecraft kits. I've built the K1, K2, KPA100, KAT100, a bunch of K2 options,
and the KX1 with the 30/80 board. Of these the KX1 is actually the hardest
to build IMHO, especially the 30/80 board. It wasn't impossible, and if I
can do it, anybody can. It was just more challenging than the other kits.

Craig
NZ0R
K2/100 #4941
K1 #1966
KX1 #1499

Ron D'Eau Claire
2007-04-10 18:55:58 UTC
Gary, I can't claim to be a "beginner" but I know a lot of beginners have
done it.

It's really quite simple if you follow the manual and take the build one
part at a time. I don't know what you built in the 80's but I've found that
good kits, like the Elecraft rigs, have become easier to build over time.
Indeed, not too long ago I helped a buddy overhaul his Viking Ranger - a
vintage rig from the 1950's. I had built one from a kit without trouble back
in the 50's when I was a teenager. I was astonished to see in the assembly
manual that had 'steps' like "locate the mica capacitors used in the VFO and
install them, referring to the photograph and schematic!" Everything was
point-to-point, of course. No check lists. No details about how to identify
or position the parts, other than a few photographs. No circuit boards. Big
wiring harnesses that had to be positioned and all the wires attached to the
proper lugs on tie strips and tube sockets as needed with almost nothing to
go by but a few terse comments and a schematic diagram.

Heathkit made it easier with their gigantic "pictorial" charts.

Elecraft took it further by eliminating all the point-to-point wiring!

So building a K2 is a matter of stuffing well-marked pc boards with parts
while referring to a check-off list that shows each part and how it's
marked.

It seems like 99% of the problems are caused by fatigue - working far too
many hours at a time or being in a hurry - bad soldering - forgetting to
solder a joint, getting sloppy and creating solder bridges or failing to
properly strip and tin the toroid inductor leads before "soldering" them
into place - or by mis-handling static sensitive parts. A ground strap is a
great idea, but you can work safely by learning to touch a bare metal
grounded object regularly while working (and keeping parts away from
plastics like Styrofoam containers).

If you take it one step at a time you'll be astonished at how easy the K2
goes together.

Ron AC7AC

Gary D Krause
2007-04-10 19:49:28 UTC
Thanks everyone for all of the positive responses. I think I'm going to order
a K2 and give it a go!

Gary, N7HTS
Sandy W5TVW
2007-04-10 20:23:32 UTC
Depends on what you want it for.

If you bare thinking about a "new" all-mode, all-band rig, I'd certainly
choose the K2, 160 meter and SSB add-ons. Maybe even the 100 watt model.

If you are interested in QRP, a "pack rig", CW only, and you can cope with
just having 40-15 (4 band) or changing two band cards, then I'd say the K1
was right for you.

I have a K1 originally b ought with 4 band option which I setup for
40/30/20/15 meters. I have an extra two band RF board for 160/80 meters.
Also have the KAT1 internal tuner. If I did it all over again, I'd skip the
KAT1 and purchase the external T-1 tuner as it has greater matching range.
It is a really great rig. I did not care for the "internal battery" option
as it is a pain taking the batteries in and out for charging. The smaller
loudspeaker isn't potent enough for my old ears!

73,

Sandy W5TVW
10:59 PM
Fred (FL)
2007-04-10 22:14:50 UTC
K1 or K2 or Elecraft?

I built the K2 #54xx last spring. Went very well,
soldering skills came back quickly - from my
previous ham Heathkit days ..........

One thing I would strongly recommend, although not
necessary - is to buy the PRE-BUILT TOROIDS, from the
"Toroid Man" Mike. He's listed on the Elecraft
website.

He winds and tins almost perfect Toroids. Each is
carefully marked in a small envelope - ready to
install. I bet that one decision - made my K2
build a total success! I recall - he had them
built and shipped to me, before I even had paid
him, or before my personal check had cleared
at his end. He is very good to work with!

I toroid mis-install, 1 extra or short winding, on
a single toroid - can cause MUCH grief!

Good luck on your build decision.
Elecraft - you will not regret it!

Fred, FL
N3CSY

Be a PS3 game guru.
Ron D'Eau Claire
2007-04-10 23:04:22 UTC
That's Mychael the toroidguy at: ***@earthlink.net

He does great work. If you can't find the reference on the web site, just
drop him a line. You don't need to send him your cores. Just place your
order and the toroids will be on their way "toot sweet" (my apologies to our
French speaking members).

And the usual disclaimers do *not* apply. He's a friend of mine and, I
suspect, a LOT of other folks on the reflector here.

Ron AC7AC

N3CSY
Craig Rairdin
2007-04-10 23:42:10 UTC
Post by Fred (FL)
One thing I would strongly recommend, although not
necessary - is to buy the PRE-BUILT TOROIDS
I second this motion. Well at least the part that says it's not necessary.
:-)

I agree that if you're advanced in years and have trouble manipulating small
objects you might find winding torroids to be difficult or even painful. If
on the other hand you're reasonably dexterous you'll find that the torroids
are not that big of a deal. After winding LOTS of torroids for the K2, K1,
KX1 and their respective auto-tuners I can tell you that if you can thread a
needle with a 1/4" hole and reliably count to 25 you can wind your own
torroids. And if you can melt solder (that silver melty stuff that's like
really soft wire) on the end of your soldering iron (the pointy hot thing),
you can tin the leads.

Don't fear the torroids.

Craig
NZ0R
Ron D'Eau Claire
2007-04-10 23:54:16 UTC
I agree, if we're talking about toroids and not those dreaded overheated
torroids <G>.

I wind my own but, as Craig says, some builders get frustrated doing the
turns count, stripping the enamel off properly, etc. For them Michael's
service is invaluable. For anyone who wants to shave an hour or so off of
the building time for a K2 and prefers to "drop in and solder" all the
parts, they are great.

Even though I don't normally use his toroids, I have seen several examples
of his work first-hand and it is definitely first-rate.

Ron AC7AC

NZ0R
David Wilburn
2007-04-11 04:30:08 UTC
I wound my own on the K2 and KSB2, and purchased them for the KAT100 and
KPA100. Mychal provided great service and excellent products. I will
likely continue both traits. I will make my own on small projects, and
purchase them on larger projects.

David Wilburn
***@verizon.net
K4DGW
K2 #5982
Darwin, Keith
2007-04-11 12:54:14 UTC
Toroids - to wind or buy.

Either approach is absolute fine. They are apparently very windable by
the average bear. In my case, I tried to wind one. It was very ugly
and no fun.

Mychael's work is very nice. The toroids look good, evenly spaced and
nicely stripped and tinned. For me there is no other way to build an
Elecraft. I've done pre-wound toroids on all my kits and wouldn't have
it any other way.

I also went with the rework eliminators (which have received a lot of
positive and negative press) and was very happy with that choice.

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -