[Elecraft] KIO2 and KPA-100 Coexistence in K2?
Paul Clay
2003-10-17 17:31:00 UTC
If you install the KIO2 in the K2 so as to be able
to interface the K2 with a KAT2-100, and then you
later decide to install a KPA-100 (in the K2
case, vice in an EC2 "K2 Twin" configuration),
will the KIO2 have to be uninstalled?
Leo Starrenburg PA5LS
2003-10-17 17:47:01 UTC
Paul,

you need a K2 based KIO2 to communicate with the external KPA/KAT100.

I did what you described and it works perfectly, at home I use the 100W set,
on outings I simply disconnect a couple of lines and I have the qrp K2,
complete with KAT2.

regards, Leo.
David Toepfer
2003-10-17 18:23:07 UTC
Well, call me late to the party, but there is an option I did not think of.
I was wondering how I could build a K2 and keep it light and QRP portable
without having to actually remove the amp every time I wanted to move it.

Puting a KPA100 and a KAT100-2 in EC2 case, is that possible?

Or a KPA100 in a KAT100-1 sized case, is that possible?

Have these been done?

dt
.
Tilman D. Thulesius
2003-10-23 06:38:01 UTC
Hi folks !!

Have not seen any further thread on this - IS this doable ?? I would also like
to do a thing like this.

Tilman SM0JZT
Post by Paul Clay
If you install the KIO2 in the K2 so as to be able
to interface the K2 with a KAT2-100, and then you
later decide to install a KPA-100 (in the K2
case, vice in an EC2 "K2 Twin" configuration),
will the KIO2 have to be uninstalled?
Tilman D. Thulesius
Kungsängen / Sweden
***@burken.nu
+46 8 584 50045
Tom Hammond
2003-10-23 13:48:00 UTC
Tilman:

Please visit:

http://www.fidalgo.net/~wa7gxd/k2kpa100.html

For (I think) all the info you should require on this subject

73,

Tom N0SS
Post by Tilman D. Thulesius
Hi folks !!
Have not seen any further thread on this - IS this doable ?? I would also=
like
Post by Tilman D. Thulesius
to do a thing like this.
Tilman SM0JZT
Post by Paul Clay
If you install the KIO2 in the K2 so as to be able
to interface the K2 with a KAT2-100, and then you
later decide to install a KPA-100 (in the K2
case, vice in an EC2 "K2 Twin" configuration),
will the KIO2 have to be uninstalled?
Tilman D. Thulesius
Kungs=E4ngen / Sweden
+46 8 584 50045
Don Wilhelm" (Don Wilhelm)
2003-10-23 14:27:01 UTC
Tilman,

Yes, it IS do-able and has been done. In fact, I just received my EC2
enclosure and am about to do it myself. Check out
http://www.fidalgo.net/~wa7gxd/k2kpa100.html to see how.

In addition to the external enclosure, you will need the KIO2 option in your
base K2 so it can communicate with the external KPA100.

73,
Don W3FPR

Bob Nielsen
2003-10-23 18:26:01 UTC
Is it recommended to integrate the KPA100 with the K2 and get it all
working together before remoting it in the EC2?

73,
Bob N7XY

Rich Lentz
2003-10-17 18:26:24 UTC
The KIO2 is installed on the lid of the K2, assuming no KPA100. The KPA100
has the equivalent of the KIO2 on the same pcb as the PA. When the KPA100
is installed on the K2 the old lid, speaker, and other items mounted on the
lid (KIO2, KAT2, etc.) are removed with the lid. Since the KPA100 has the
equivalent of the KIO2 you still have use of the IO capabilities, and can
use logging and other programs.

Rich
KE0X
Leo Starrenburg PA5LS
2003-10-17 18:56:59 UTC
Sorry Paul,

mis-understood your question. Rich has the correct answer.

regards, Leo.
Bill Flynn AIØC
2003-10-17 18:49:01 UTC
Hi David,

Lyle Johnson, KK7P (ex-WA7GXD), has done this. He's written it all up =
on an
excellent Web page that you can view at
http://www.fidalgo.net/~wa7gxd/k2kpa100.html.

73,

Bill...
AI=D8C

Well, call me late to the party, but there is an option I did not think =
of.
I was wondering how I could build a K2 and keep it light and QRP =
portable
without having to actually remove the amp every time I wanted to move =
it. =20

Puting a KPA100 and a KAT100-2 in EC2 case, is that possible?

Or a KPA100 in a KAT100-1 sized case, is that possible?

Have these been done?

dt
.
If you install the KIO2 in the K2 so as to be able=20
to interface the K2 with a KAT2-100, and then you=20
later decide to install a KPA-100 (in the K2=20
case, vice in an EC2 "K2 Twin" configuration),=20
will the KIO2 have to be uninstalled?
Paul Clay
2003-10-17 19:05:11 UTC
Thanks for the info. I did not realize that the
KIO2 installed to the top cover.

My original plan was to upgrade my K2 to a K2/100
with KAT-100. Then I thought I would go the
KPA-100 and KAT-100 in an EC2 route.

Now I'm starting to lean back in favor of the
"swap top" approach. But I want to be able to
use the KAT-100 with EITHER the original K2 top
OR the KPA-100 top installed. Now that I know
that the KIO2 is installed on the original K2
top, and (apparently) plugs into the main K2 RF
board at the same location as the KPA-100's built
in IO, I guess I don't have a problem.

Actually, DO the KIO2 and the KPA-100 on-board IO
plug into/interface with the K2 in the same
place/way?

- Paul, N6LQ
David Toepfer
2003-10-17 22:44:01 UTC
I have been trying to decide which tuner's I should consider using for the K2
in my future. I have always been impressed by the LDG tuners. But it seems
that the Elecraft tuners are at least as good (if not better as I expect) in
design and have the bonus of being internal (integrated with a/b swithc and
band memory) as well.

I tried to compare specs, but the lit for the Elecraft tuners seem to be lean
on basic inductance/capacitance specs from what I can find on the web site (not
sure why). I suspect they are both Z-match tuners (less lossy than a T-match
from what I understand) and are quite capable of tuning a wide array of antenna
mismatches.

I guess what I am looking for is whether anyone has any experience with or
knows of any comparisons (in addition to eham.net) of any of these tuners that
might sway my decision one way or another on these 2 tuner comparisons:

1)
Elecraft KAT100 (http://elecraft.com/kat100/kat100_page.htm)
vs
LDG Electronics AT-11MP (http://ldgelectronics.com/at-11mp_description.html)

2)
Elecraft KAT2 (http://elecraft.com/Apps/kat_pics.htm)
vs
LDG Electronics Z-11 (http://ldgelectronics.com/z-11.html)

From what I can see of the specs published on the Elecraft balun kit it seems
quite fine as well and I am likely to get it in favor of the LDG unit, though
the differences seem less radical.

3)
Elecraft BL1 (http://elecraft.com/mini_module_kits/mini_modules.htm)
vs
LDG Electronics RBA-1 (http://ldgelectronics.com/ba-1.html)

In the end I so like the product Elecraft is producing and what I guess I am
looking for is whether there is a compelling reason to not buy their tuners
over what I believe is the next best auto-tuners out there.

Thanks.

dt
.
Charles Greene
2003-10-18 03:07:05 UTC
David,

On the antenna tuner, I am using two K2's, 462 is the QRP version and it
has the KAT2 option. The other is 3571 with the 100 watt amplifier, and I
am using a LDG Z11 antenna tuner with it. I have used the Z11 at 100 watts
for over a year now with no problems, although LDG rates it at 60
watts. It is a nice little antenna tuner and it performs
flawlessly. However, I miss the memory feature of the KAT2. When
selecting a band and an antenna, the KAT2 has 2 antenna connections, the
KAT2 remembers what the tuning was and goes to it when the band and that
antenna is selected. The performance of the KAT100 antenna is similar as
far as I know; I have never operated one. I know it has a built in SWR
indicator. On the Z11 every time I change bands I have to retune. I also
miss having two antennas. When I want to use a second antenna on the Z11,
I have to change the coax connector.

I have an LDG remote antenna tuner in my sailboat. It is mounted aft and
feeds an insulated back stay. If you want a remote tuner, the LDG remote
tuner model RT-11 is the way to go.

Both the LDG and Elecraft tuners are L type tuners. Although I have not
tested either in any great detail, both do an equally good job of tuning an
antenna in about the same length of time. The LDG has an automatic mode of
operation which the KAT2 does not have. I have actually used mine as a
remote tuner. I mounted it in the trunk of my car and put it in Automatic,
and when I wanted to retune my mobile antenna a little because I moved up
or down the band, I just transmitted a carrier, and it quickly tuned the
antenna to 1:1 SWR. It has manual switches for capacitance and inductance
up or down, in case you can't get a match using the tune button. It has
LEDs which indicate SWR <1.5, 2.0 and >3.0

On the balun, the LDG balun is a voltage balun and the Elecraft balun is a
current balun. A current balun is generally preferred over the voltage
balun. It has a wider frequency range, as the voltage balun performance
falls off at higher frequencies. Also, the current balun can transform a
wider impedance range. It can operate satisfactorily into a higher SWR
than the voltage balun. The voltage balun is simpler and needs only one
core. The current balun can be built with one or two cores. In the case
of the Elecraft balun, it has a single core. I measured the frequency
response of a single core of a two core current balun I designed, but wired
it up as a voltage balun. As a current balun, its frequency response was
700 KHz to 35 MHz; as a voltage balun, it was 700 KHz to about 19
MHz. This is my design, and I don't know what the frequency response of
the LDG balun is but I assume it performs satisfactorily over the entire HF
range. The specs on the Elecraft balun are 500 KHz through 55 MHz, I seem
to remember. The bottom line is that the Elecraft balun uses a different
technology, and not to disparage the LDG balun, the Elecraft balun is bound
to outperform the LDG balun in most applications hams will use it for.

On the other hand, Jerry Sevick, W2FMI, who wrote two books on baluns,
prefers a voltage balun over a current balun for use in an antenna tuner,
provided it uses a very large core of the proper material.
Post by David Toepfer
[...]
From what I can see of the specs published on the Elecraft balun kit it seems
quite fine as well and I am likely to get it in favor of the LDG unit, though
the differences seem less radical.
3)
Elecraft BL1 (http://elecraft.com/mini_module_kits/mini_modules.htm)
vs
LDG Electronics RBA-1 (http://ldgelectronics.com/ba-1.html)
In the end I so like the product Elecraft is producing and what I guess I am
looking for is whether there is a compelling reason to not buy their tuners
over what I believe is the next best auto-tuners out there.
Thanks.
dt
73, Chas, W1CG
K2 462b, 3571
David Toepfer
2003-10-20 03:40:01 UTC
Post by Charles Greene
On the other hand, Jerry Sevick, W2FMI, who wrote two books on baluns,
prefers a voltage balun over a current balun for use in an antenna tuner,
provided it uses a very large core of the proper material.
Do you recall why he does?

dt
.
Post by David Toepfer
1)
Elecraft KAT100 (http://elecraft.com/kat100/kat100_page.htm)
vs
LDG Electronics AT-11MP (http://ldgelectronics.com/at-11mp_description.html)
2)
Elecraft KAT2 (http://elecraft.com/Apps/kat_pics.htm)
vs
LDG Electronics Z-11 (http://ldgelectronics.com/z-11.html)
From what I can see of the specs published on the Elecraft balun kit it
seems
K2 462b, 3571
Sverre Holm
2003-10-23 08:10:00 UTC
The question of the KPA-100 external to the K2 surfaces from time to
time, and there are two descriptions of how it can be done. To find them
you may check the Unofficial K2 Modifications page at
www.qsl.net/la3za/K2/mod.html, go to General mods and then KPA100.
I lost the two websites that have slightly different
schemes and pics
for setting up the KPA and KAT100 in a separate EC2 enclosure...
Lyle Johnson
2003-10-23 18:34:00 UTC
Hello Bob!
Post by Bob Nielsen
Is it recommended to integrate the KPA100 with the K2 and get it all
working together before remoting it in the EC2?
In the initial KPA-100 checkout, I had mine laying upside-down on a thick
book (must have been a Windows tome...) with the cables plugged into the
open-top K2.

Once the KPA100 is checked out in this fashion, cal done, etc., I don't
think it matters which box you put it in.

YMMV

72 -> 73,

Lyle KK7P